Gray Screen Freezes on Bootup with Second Display

broham028

Alright, I have a Dell Latitude D620 GMA 950. When I try to plug up an external monitor, when I boot up the computer, after the loading screen, it goes to a Gray Screen and freezes the computer and I'm forced to hold down the power button to restart

I try to boot with the '-v' flag and the monitor starts to come on, then it turns back off

The only time it will work is when I boot into safe mode. Does anyone knows what's wrong with that?

Also, if I plug the monitor in while the computer is on, the same Grey Screen thing happens

Any ideas ppl?

Alright, I have a Dell Latitude D620 GMA 950. When I try to plug up an external monitor, when I boot up the computer, after the loading screen, it goes to a Gray Screen and freezes the computer and I'm forced to hold down the power button to restart

I try to boot with the '-v' flag and the monitor starts to come on, then it turns back off

The only time it will work is when I boot into safe mode. Does anyone knows what's wrong with that?

Also, if I plug the monitor in while the computer is on, the same Grey Screen thing happens

Any ideas ppl?

/edit - I was about to post you should try the secondary after boot but re-reading I see you have. Like Leon said more info but also can you go to System Preferences Click Displays and Click "Detect Displays"and see what that says?

A bit more info please...

1. What OSX version ?

2. What EDP version ?

3. Does it work to boot it normal without monitor connected ?

Ok, sorry, forgive me

1. OSX Version: 10.6.6

2. EDP Version: Latest (which is 1.5 I believe?)

3. Yes it works without the monitor connected

And to Thunderbolt, you mean click Detect Displays with the external monitor connected? If that's what you mean, then no can do. When the computer is already on, and I plug in the monitor, it automatically goes to a gray screen and the computer freezes and i'm forced to hold down the power button to shut down the computer

• Administrators

Allright, just to clarify.. not all external monitors is supported and while we do know this is a big problem, then its still a low priot. on our list due to more urgent matters - however, you are welcome to help research the problem :)

Allright, just to clarify.. not all external monitors is supported and while we do know this is a big problem, then its still a low priot. on our list due to more urgent matters - however, you are welcome to help research the problem :)

Do you have any idea which monitors work? btw tested through VGA on the dock still same problem.

i'v had some luck with 2-3 dell monitors...

that's the thing, it's weird because up until a couple days ago, I could boot up with the monitor connected in verbose mode and it would boot up both screens fine. I could drag windows to the other screen, etc.