macOS on Precision M6400

griftopia

Believe it or not, I picked one up at garage sale. Haven't taken a look at it. Was simply going to put Linux on it, but if mac o's is possible...

I know it has penryn CPU, not sure what graphics it has. Assuming it has NVIDIA, is 10.12 a possibility?

• Administrators

M6400 is same family as M2400 & M4400, just larger (17"). All have Penryn CPUs at FSB 1066MHz + nVidIa GPUs. M6400 have either Quadro FX 2700M or FX 3700M. M2400 have nVidia FX 770M and that's supported under OS X (don't know about Sierra though). M4400 have nVidia FX770M or FX 1700M which is also supported afaik. All those dGPUs are based on nVidia G9x architecture and should therefore all be supported:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-FX-770M.11707.0.html

Since what you actually seek is most probably a step-by-step guide, look up existing M2400 and/or M4400 threads if you can't find anything for the M6400. But the only way to know for sure if Sierra will run on your M6400 is to try, so roll-up your sleeves and jump ! No reason why it wouldn't work. Your signature shows you had a M2400 with El Capitan before, so should already be in familiar territory...

I posted a Mavericks/Yosemite bootpack for the M4400 at the top of this very section earlier this year; use that as a base to build-up from. As stated at bottom of the thread, you'll obviously have to apply those DSDT patches mandatory for USB ports since El Capitan .

Okay, so I finally cleaned it up and seem to have a stable machine with windows installed on HD2. Will attempt to install 10.12 on HD1. I'm starting to work on patching DSDT now. While I'm doing that wanted to ask if I should use Chameleon or Clover. I would like to get iMessage working so if Clover is a possibility I would like to try that. Old laptop so now UEFI, not sure how well Clover will work.

I will wait on advice while I start preparing USB with Clover (if I can).

Okay, Clover was a non-starter. Time to move to Enoch.

So I looked at the M4400 bootpack.

I have applied DSDT patches for Penryn Core2Duo ICH9.

I'm getting the dreaded "Still waiting for root device" problem. I did try replacing EHC1/2 with EH01/2 and using USB Injector, while I think that's only for USB 3.0. So I've reverted back. I did try all USB ports with/without this fix.

Files are attached. If someone can tell me where I'm making mistake.

AND also attaching "raw" dsdt in case I totally hosed it up somewhere when I applied patches (while I was quite careful).

Extra.zip

M6400_raw_dsdt.zip

So you are saying I should rename EHC1/2 to EH01/2 and use USB injection? I did try but it didn't help.

Just so I'm clear. First I didn't find any EHC1 in the DSDT. I did find EHC2 which I changed to EH02

Now I'm seeing a bunch of EHCI entries. Should I be changing those to EH0I? No I should be changing EHCI to EH01. That was it!!!

I'm trying to proceed with install now.  One problem Mouse and key board does not work.

The Voodoo kexts for mouse and keyboard in M4400 pack did not work. ApplePS2Controller also did not work. Any suggestions?

Proceeding with USB mouse keyboard for now

Okay so I was able to get the keyboard / mouse working during USB boot and proceeded to install. I left it unattended so assuming it installed completely. On reboot, when I try to boot from HD, I get...

"Memory allocation error! Addr: 0x180ffff0, Size: 0x10, File: xml.c, Line:1176"

I'm able to boot with -f flag. Needless to say something is not right, but what? Attaching my extra folder.

PS - There is nothing wrong with RAM on this laptop. I've tested all hardware thoroughly and installed Windows and everything on other hard drive.

Extra.zip

• Administrators

You've kept KernelBooter_kexts set to Yes, consequently you can only boot without cache (i.e; with -f flag) and with add-on kexts in /E/E. Copy (not move) your add-on kexts to /L/E, repair permissions, rebuild your cache, set KernelBooter_kexts to No and you'll be able to boot normally.

You're using MBP7,1 SMBIOS which is Ok but it seems you simply copied the plist from some place and did not update it to remove/replace the CPU and RAM speeds manually set there. Remove these or adjust according to your M6400.