Unable to boot via USB on D620

jgbiggs

I followed all the instructions on creating a 8GB usb boot stick (for lion), using a PPC mac-mini running 10.5.x.

However when I boot from the usb all I get is a flashing cursor in the upper left of the screen.

Is there something I need to do to enable the usb stick to be bootable?

The D620 has a 2GHz Core 2 Duo and intel 945 graphics.

thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that was my plan, get 10.6.0 on and create the bootstick using myhack using the 10.6.0 install instead of the mac-mini.

I just didn't know if there was some magic to get a new usb stick to be bootable. I seem to remember in the past using some sort of hp format program to remove junk the vendor installed to the stick.

Use your Mac Mini to format the USB. Disk Utility should do the trick. Installing Chameleon will make the USB bootable. Check out the wiki link for installing Snow Leopard and Lion. Also note the links for supported models and EDP builds. You do not need to use MyHack to install Snow Leopard. I did use MyHack for my Lion install but not for Snow Leopard. Keep in mind you need to use EDP 1.9 for Snow Leopard and EDP 2.2 for Lion.

Good Luck,

Freedomrock

ok, I formatted the drive as 1 partition/Mac OS Extended (Journaled)/GUID. Attempted to restore the SLD430USB.img.bz to the drive. It ran for over two hours before I killed the process. (should it really take that long?)

next, I reformatted as above and installed Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r665.pkg to the usb drive.

then, I tried to boot the D620 with it. All that happens is a blinking cursor at the upper left of the display.

Is it really this difficult?, the you-tube videos make it seem that it is trivial.

This is not just empty griping, I have poured over the instructions and watched the videos many times.

I am not sure about the video, but it isn't that hard. You just have to do it correctly. :) It took me a few tries.

I purchased a used Snow Leopard Retail DVD for $12 so I can't comment on how long it should take to restore the down-loaded image. I do know if you quit the restore image process before completion it will not work. I might be mis-reading your post but it sounds like you reformatted the USB drive after killing the install process??? Two hours does sound like something went wrong with the process. When you look at the USB drive do you see all the files that were on the original image? I would try again.

What worked for me....Format USB Drive, Restore OS X to USB drive, Install Chameleon to USB drive, Place Extra folder (from supported models boot pack) at root of USB drive, copy EDP to USB drive. Boot off USB drive, install OSX, reboot, install EDP, run EDP Command, install Chameleon to Dell HD using EDP Wizard, repair permissions, reboot. You are done!

Keep in mind you will need USB keyboard and mouse for the installation. Once you run EDP and reboot laptop keyboard and trackpad will work.

Good luck,

Freedomrock

well, i found a windows utility called RMPrepUSB, and was able to format and install a DOS based bootloader.

I moved over a custom BIOS, and was finally able to boot from the USB and flash the BIOS successfully!

I am now moving over the Lion install image, hopefully the RMPrepUSB utility did some magic on the SanDisk Cruzer 8GB.

thanks for your help and patience. i will post my results later.