Unable to boot via USB on D620

jgbiggs

Previously you mentioned you were installing Snow Leopard. The steps I mentioned were for Snow Leopard.

I followed the directions on the wiki for Lion and I used MyHack. This is very simple. If MyHack will not run on a Power PC Mac I don't know what to suggest for Lion.

Go back to my previous post and note "what worked for me". As mentioned you need to install Chameleon on the USB stick to make it bootable. Read the directions and then follow the steps. I have no idea if your Lion image is bad. I suggest you slow down and carefully read the wiki and follow the directions. They do work.

If you are using the same USB stick to boot OS X hopefully you reformatted for Mac after you did the bios upgrade.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same stick,

01. reformatted for 1 partition/Max OS Extented (Journaled)/GUID

02. restored Lion from SharedSupport mounted InstallESD.dmg from newly acquired Lion install app

03. installed Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r665.pkg to USB (this placed an Extra folder in the root of the USB)

04. copied Extra folder for D620/Intel Graphics from the appropriate book pack zip (this probably overwrote items from #3 above)

05. copied EDP 2.2 to USB

boot from USB on D620, flashing cursor at top left. I don't know what to do now.

When you restore Lion you should have the following files/folders on the USB -

Install Mac OS X Lion -app

Library - Folder

MacOSX Mediabackground.png - Portable Network file

Packages - Folder

Private - Folder

System - Folder

Chameleon installs the needed boot file.

Is this what you see?

Again I used Myhack for Lion and it was a snap. I have nothing to offer for a non MyHack solution. :(

So I guess you quit trying Snow Leopard? All the tools needed for Snow Leopard are on this site. I suspect you either have a bad image or you are not restoring image properly. I started with a legal OSX Retail DVD so I was fairly certain I was starting with a good image.

I have only been at this for a month or two so I am out of ideas. I can confirm this does work. I run Snow Leopard, Lion, and Windows 7 on my D630.

Wish I could have been more help.

Regards,

Freedomrock

jgbiggs mentions he installed Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r665.pkg to USB stick. I remember mention in earlier post of Power PC MacMini used to create USB. Is there a version of Chameleon needed for non Intel Macs? Just wondering....maybe the version being used is the problem?

ok, someone please confirm what what is the minimum I need on the usb stick just to boot into a os x command line....

is it just:

1> usb stick formatted guid/1 partition/max os x extended (journaled)

2> chameleon installed to the stick

3> extra folder (appropriate for D620/intel graphcis) copied over to root of usb stick

I will feel some sense of accomplishment if i can just get it to boot from the usb.

Based on comments above.... You may want to confirm that Chameleon is compatible with Power PC Mac. This may be the problem. Chameleon makes the USB Stick boot. I am sure there are other apps that would work.

Not real sure what will boot you into OS X command line. Typically you will boot into OS X Installer.

I suspect the Power PC is the problem or at least part of the problem.