Anyone been experimenting with High Sierra Beta's

spidey123

Hello everyone, I thought I'd create this post today to talk about High Sierra, which will be officially released on the 25th of September.  

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with the Beta's on the Dell Latitudes. 

If so, what did you find worked and what didn't?

Obviously everyone will have a better idea of things in a few weeks after it's released, but I just wanted to get an idea.

Thanks team OSXLatitude.

• Moderators

Obviously you'll have to update to the latest Clover (currently v4200) to get it to boot.

It introduces a new format APFS so a new Clover driver (APFS.efi) is needed to detect the HDD.

I have it installed on my E7470, E7450, and E7440. Preliminary testing so far is good, minor changes to the Sierra bootpack for it to work as well as Sierra.

A lot of kexts has been already updates to work on HS, but some needs additional patching to work as expected.

So don't jump into it if you're using your system as a primary driver unless you just want to test it. Create a secondary partition and install there if you're interested in testing.

Ok thanks Jake Lo, I think I have a spare drive that I'm going to install it on for testing.  As like you said this is my primary pc and sometimes I even have to use it at work.  The new features however and file system have gotten me excited to start testing :D

As for the new Clover driver, would that go into the same folder as the older HFSPlus.efi?

Ok I will start testing once the final version is released next week.  

Ok Ill look for the correct bootpacks and take a look at them.  

Thanks Jake Lo 

• Administrators

HiSie works fine on all my laptops (D630n, E6220, E6230, E6440). APFS not recommended on HDDs, only on SSDs. 'causes very slow performance on legacy HDDs. Most people will probably stay with HFS+ to begin with. Apart from that, HiSie operates like Sierra. Installation is just a little more complex with several reboots and need to boot the Recovery partition to complete installation.

Works perfectly with Enoch too. You can use the latest version too (minimum required is r2829 or r2839, can't remember).

Ok well thats good to know.  Thx for the heads up bronxteck!!!

This won't be a problem on my Latitude because I'm only running OSX.  I have windows dual booting on my Inspiron 3542 and since I just got that one working recently on Sierra, I'm going to be leaving it alone for a while or at least till I have gotten everything up and running on the Latitude.