[SOLVED] Can't boot High Sierra installation E7450 with NVidia GeForce 840M

viking1304

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one 512GB SSD drive, so removing Windows drive is not an option.

Shouldn't -lilubetaall flag do exactly what you are saying - enable beta flag for lilu and all plugins?

Add -lilubetaall to enable Lilu and all loaded plugins on unsupported os versions (use very carefully)

I can try to add flags for all plugins. That's is not a problem, but I am not sure that it would help.

All I can think off now is to try to update all kexts that are in Jake's bootpack, but there is currently some network issue with SF, so I will try that tomorrow.

• Administrators

-lilubetaall is supposed to but the older kexts do not respond to it. I guess its for the plugins built with the option. you might loose your windows boot so you might want to back it up. my windows partition is not booting after APFS conversion

I am starting to suspect that real problem here is my BIOS or some piece of my hardware.

I installed Sierra while I had A15 BIOS. I updated my BIOS to A17 and was prepared that Sierra might stop working, but everything continued to work without any problem, so I didn't expect any problems with HS.

HS just refuse to boot properly. Sometimes boot process hangs, sometimes it crash and system restarts. I am starting to suspect that something is wrong with ACPI patches or that nVidia can't be disabled for some strange reason.

I even downgraded my BIOS to A15, but still wasn't able to boot, so I reverted BIOS back to A17. All this time Sierra works without any problem. I have no idea what else to try.

Origin attached if someone have time and will to take a look.

btw. is there a way to create log file while booting from USB? I am not able to take a proper picture since text goes too fast. I suspect that there is some error message in the middle of boot process that might point what's wrong, but I just can't capture it.

Thank you very much Jake. Unfortunately still no luck. :(

With "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" boot crash with same error I had from start.

If "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" is off I am getting KP and system reboots. I disabled reboot on KP and took this image.

20170929_234301.jpg

I am confused about version info in "Last unloaded kext" - it says ALC 1.1.3 but info on file from bootpack states 1.1.4?!

I have an idea. What is the minimal set of needed kexts? I should check if I can boot this with that minimal set of kexts, and then I could probably add one by one to see when it will crash.

I am sorry if sometimes I sound little ignorant, but I am fairly new to all this.

EDIT:

Looks like dual grapics is the problem after all.

https://www.tonycrapx86.com/threads/fix-window-server-service-only-ran-for-0-seconds-with-dual-gpu.233092/

Would you mind to help me with this?

• Moderators

you just need FakeSMC and ApplePS2Controller.

The error looks like you have not replace with the updated files I attached.

The error shows that you're missing the FixHeaders patch.

Either that or you're not booting from the source with the updated files.

you just need FakeSMC and ApplePS2Controller.

The error looks like you have not replace with the updated files I attached.

The error shows that you're missing the FixHeaders patch.

Either that or you're not booting from the source with the updated files.

I had busy week at work, so didn't have time to test this further earlier.

I finally was able to properly boot HS installation (with your A17 bootpack), and I am equally ashamed and confused.

Please take a look at this photo

20171006_211842.jpg

Everything is very clear. Just boot USB with -v. Right? It should be that easy, but it's not.

When I tried to boot installation for the first time (with old kexts) I pressed F12, chose USB in BIOS boot menu and I got exactly same screen. I selected USB from that menu, added -v and chose boot. I did that first few times.

Once I forgot to press F12 on start, but I got exactly same screen. So I thought that USB is probably earlier in boot order than SSD, since I had option to boot from USB. Later I was just trying to boot from USB, without pressing F12 first. I was getting similar errors, so I didn't give any significance to fact that I didn't pressed F12 first.

Now I am aware that the Clover that was launched was Clover from my SSD and not from USB. I figured that out when I installed Clover 4233 on USB, and saw 4200 on this menu. So yes, you were right, I wasn't booted this properly.

But now I am confused. Looks like it is important which Clover was booted, but this makes not sense to me. Shouldn't Clover read config from drive that I am trying to boot, and not the drive where it were started from?

btw. I would like to update "Generic EFI Folder" in order to use latest version of those files (from latest Clover 4233). I am aware that Themese folder is not same, but I am not sure what else is different. I would like to be able to prepare this myself next time when I need a fresh USB installation.

Thank you very much once again Jake, and sorry for the confusion that I eventually made.