[SOLVED] Can't boot High Sierra installation E7450 with NVidia GeForce 840M

viking1304

• Administrators

You can use HWMonitor app (calls on FakeSMC Plugins) to verify if nVidia GPU remains turned off after wake from sleep.

In SSDT-12, it's most definitely turned off at startup through the _INI method of device SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP:

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
       {
           Store (Zero, \_SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP._ADR)
           _OFF ()
       }

I've not seen calls to turn it On or Off after wake in the DSDT.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use HWMonitor app (calls on FakeSMC Plugins) to verify if nVidia GPU remains turned off after wake from sleep.

In SSDT-12, it's most definitely turned off at startup through the _INI method of device SB.PCI0.RP05.PEGP

I've not seen calls to turn it On or Off after wake in the DSDT.

I installed FakeSMC 6.26 with all plugins and HWMonitor, but I do no see anything about GPU in HWMonitor.

Screen_Shot_2017-11-09_at_11.57.31_AM.pn

I can only verify that main FakeSMC kext is loaded, but I have no idea if plugins are loaded or not.

$ kextstat | grep Fake
   42    2 0xffffff7f8332d000 0x11000    0x11000    org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC (1765) 9EEC6103-EEBA-34B3-B9AF-8FE333C43E90 <11 7 5 4 3 1>

Should I see all 5 kext loaded with kextstat or only main one? Am I missing something?

• Administrators

Your grep command filters for a kext containing "Fake" in its name... Is it the case for the names of the PlugIns?

PlugIns are kexts just like any other driver. You should see them loaded (or not) in your SysProfiler->Software->Extensions section.

But rest assured that they are loaded or HWMonitor would not show the info it currently does. If you see no GPU entry in the T° section of HWMonitor at any time, even after waking the laptop, it's pretty safe to say your nVidia dGPU is fully disabled; permanently.