Some graphic glitches and garbling with E6420 and High Sierra

spidey123

Well I have been testing now for 4 days and tonight I started noticing some garbled text on certain sites as well as some graphical glitches throughout.   Actually just happened again while writing this post.  I see tiny glitches all over the screen but only once in a while.

Can't figure out why though.  I even got some glitches when the volume keys are on the desktop, when using Spotlight and while surfing.  

I know that some others have had some issues with different computers but I haven't heard much from those running HD 3000.

Anybody got any ideas as to what might be causing this?  Also wondering if the Lilu kexts that have helped other systems like the HD4400/4600 might help.

post-74232-0-25740800-1506657300_thumb.jpg

Ok thanks Herve. 

How does one modify the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext via clover?  

I was thinking of maybe trying to up the VRAM from 512 to 2048, but upon further discovery I found that the most the Intel HD3000 can support is 1.7GB  so I'll just leave it at 1024MB.   

Ok so I added just the patch through Clover but no difference, ram still showing 512mb.   However I did not modify the kext yet.  I'm a bit confused on that part, because I know that reading thru that thread which you posted Herve, the person who modified his kext was using a real Mac.  So my question is, do I need to do the same thing regardless or is the patch implimented through Clover all I need to do?  Thanks Herve.

Hi Herve, ok I just wanted to let you know that I decided to just back up my system and then try to add the patch to the kext like in the thread.  It still shows 512 in the "About this Apple" -"Overview"   But when using Photoshop I can see that the VRAM has now changed and the max is 1082.  Not sure why 1082 but I can definitely see the Photoshop Filters work faster now so that trick works.  I'll keep you posted regarding whether it actually fixes the garbling graphics issues.  

Thanks again my friend.

I'll have a better understanding in a few days as I'm going to be using this computer as my main laptop at work this week.  So far today I did notice one incidence of garbling (although minor) so it appears better then before.  However I've also had an incidence of the computer crashing, which I don't think ever happened while on Sierra.  Again I'll post my results later on in the new week.  

***Update***   

Well unfortunately increasing the VRAM did not improve the system at all with regards to the garbling.  In fact it might have made it worse.  

Computer has also become unresponsive at least 6-7 times in the past week since I upgraded.  I have a feeling that something like the Lilu kext for the HD 4600 and 4400 will be needed to stop these two issues.    

• Administrators

It's pretty obvious that all HD3000 are affected one way or the other by these graphics glitches. Increasing RAM (from 4 to 8GB for instance) reduces the issue to some degree as does HD3000 kexts patching. But it's quite clear that there is no definitive fix and the glitches remain no matter what, unless you wish to downgrade to Yosemite or earlier of course...