E6420 Second SATA Port Not Working In macOS 10.13 High Sierra

taddeusz

I upgraded my E6420 hackintosh to High Sierra and I immediately noticed that I'm no longer able to boot from the secondary drive bay. I usually have my Windows drive attached to the primary SATA port and have one of the drive adapters that lets me install a second hard drive in leu of the optical drive. I had my macOS installed there so I can dual boot between the two.

With High Sierra that no longer works. When I try to boot macOS from the secondary port it KP's and is garbled so I can't read what it says. When the drives are switched around macOS boots and recognizes another drive is there but complains that it's having trouble reading it. I can boot Windows from the secondary port just fine so it's not a sudden hardware failure.

It sounds like I might need to modify my DSDT but I wouldn't have the slightest clue what I need to do. I know High Sierra is still really new but any ideas?

Any solultion? My e6540 is experiencing the same problem on Mojave 14.0 and 14.1. Internal sata port and msata port both work well, but the optical drive sata works abnormal with 2.5 hdd in a optical bay caddy.  After booting into the system, I can see the optical caddy hdd drive in system information with sata 6g. In disk utility, the disk can be recognized but cannot be erased or initialized. Always error with "internal error" or "Unable to write to the last block of the device". I noticed that the sata hot swap (hot plug) seems not supports by Macos? 

If I plugin the factory optical drive, the drive can be seen in system information with 1.5g, and be seen in Finder as Remote Disc. The  optical drive can only be ejected by putting the hard button but cannot within Macos. And no signal light.

I'm sure that all hardware is well functioning in windows 10.  

There seems to be some sata driver problems? Or even dsdt ssdt problem? (Hope won't go that far) Is there any solution with the hot swap like Intel Rapid Storage Technology in Win10? I always swap hdd with other optical bay hdd and hot swap is very convenient to use.

Pls help! Thanks a lot! Happy weekend!

Regards

• Administrators

I don't know if that's what @bbeetle meant, but I've never had any issue ejecting a CD/DVD, i.e. opening the CD/DVD drive through the Finder's button or eject menu button on my E6440; can't see why it'd be different on the E6540...

Eject_SW_button.jpg

If he meant unmounting the CD/DVD drive to physically take it out, indeed, there's no such option unlike for a mounted HDD or remote drive.

Hi Herve, thank you for your reply

What I actually meant is that the optical sata port didn't normal. And after one day's google, I find out that's the sata/ahci driver issue which causes cannot initialize the optical bay hdd problem. I got AppleAHCIPort.kext and relevant kext patch here (link removed according to the rules here, just google ich10 & AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip 3.28; already provided by Jake above)