[Short GUIDE] Install High Sierra on Lenovo X201 [i5 520M]

TheOpSys

Hi TheOpSis...

I have managed to find out what needs to be done in order to install the Clover bootloader

to the internal SSD/HD of the GPT partition scheme...

You missed out the "Install Clover in ESP" this should be chosen if you have a legacy system

which is what the Thinkpad x201 is ...[if i am not mistaken as it won't boot EFI]

After that I replace the EFI partition with the Post Install Stuff..

Please note... your Post Install Stuff did boot the system but it never reaches the desktop 

and it reboots itself again....

I have ran out of time to do any further testing.....

Can you please make sure or find out why your post install stuff is not working... could it be it's too specific to your machine?

I have the same machine...... At the moment i have put the EFI-to reach installer in my EFI so that my machine can boot for the time being

until you sort out the Post Install Stuff

Cheers

bd4utonite2

post-4582-0-10352100-1508640539_thumb.png

Hi TheOpSis...

I kind of managed to get the Post Install EFI to work.
I installed in ESP.. and then removed all the *.aml files inside EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched.
I put in one file at a time eg. DSDT.aml and reboot the machine to see if things work....
I keep adding back the aml files one by one until i found the one that was causing trouble for my machine...

For my machine.. i found out SSDT-2.aml was causing the problem so i have omitted it from my boot list for the time being.
Can you remember what you were patching in SSDT-2.aml???

Another thing... Battery indicator does not work for me.. i click on it to show on the menu bar but it keeps un-checking itself.
Also Sound [AppleHDA] is not working on my internal speakers.... plugging in a usb speaker works....

If you could help me out on the above 3 issues, then i think you can write your user guide.... 
I manage to get my wifi and ethernet working...... with 2 kexts

Regards

bd4utonite2

Well, I think the best way would be to extract your own DSDT/SSDT's and patch them for your own, cause as I stated in the guide, every different internal hw or bios setting will cause trouble. I extracted mines using Clover and followed RehabMan's [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT / SSDTs.

For sound, try using VoodooHDA, for battery try ACPIBatteryManager. About the CPU, does your speedstep work? To see that, install these kexts, along with HWMonitor.

• Moderators

Hi... 

Just found out SSDT-2.aml is the CPU PowerManagement patch.... 

Do you remember what you did there... why would it be different we have the same machine....

Regards

bd4utonite2

You could remove that SSDT-2, it's known to cause KP on some system on High Sierra. If you look at the TableID, it's CpuPM. The other SSDT TableID is Cpu0Ist. If you're getting KP, drop those TableID's in Config file and leave them out in the patched folder.

@TheOpSis. You could also specify what patches you applied to your DSDT, that would be most useful if members with different hardware need to patch their own. SSDT don't normally get patched other getting fixed. Most patches are done on the DSDT.

• Like 1

@microchip1974: If you read all the pages of this thread you will have all the info needed to successfully install High Sierra on your X201.

@Jake Lo: I've experimented with a bunch of different patches, but I think the only needed one is RehabMan's [bat]Lenovo X201.

Hi Microchip1974..

I did the 2 usb thumdrive boot .... 

I managed to get to the install High Sierra Install screen .. please see attached.....

BTW, you best include VoodooPS2Controller.kext into the Kext/Other folder.... if 

not will not get trackpad to work the mouse pointer.... 

Ok now that i know it will boot into the installer.. i will wait until tomorrow to install it to 

a SSD and see how i go.. it's kind of late here where i am at.... 

Regards

Hi bd4utonite2,

i cannot reach the installer.

After the clover boot selection i choose the install high sierra from the other usb thumbdrive but i only obtain a reboot also in verbose mode nothing is displayed. How did you managed to get to installer ?

regard

Micro

Well, I think the best way would be to extract your own DSDT/SSDT's and patch them for your own, cause as I stated in the guide, every different internal hw or bios setting will cause trouble. I extracted mines using Clover and followed RehabMan's [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT / SSDTs.

For sound, try using VoodooHDA, for battery try ACPIBatteryManager. About the CPU, does your speedstep work? To see that, install these kexts, along with HWMonitor.

Hi TheOpSis...

HWMonitor shows me a cpu temperature hovering around 48 to 50 degrees Celsius.

However the fan is constantly on.. although quite silent.....

I got the battery indicator working.... also install the lates Voodoohda for High Sierra using the classic method instead of installing in ESP

Regards

bd4utonite2