[Short GUIDE] Install High Sierra on Lenovo X201 [i5 520M]

TheOpSys

Hi bd4utonite2,

i cannot reach the installer.

After the clover boot selection i choose the install high sierra from the other usb thumbdrive but i only obtain a reboot also in verbose mode nothing is displayed. How did you managed to get to installer ?

regard

Micro

Hey Micro....

Just follow the instructions in #1.

This is what i did to get to the installer...... 

1) Bios Setting..... see thread #11

2) 2 USB Setup to get to install screen.....

a) 1 usb [2gb] formatted as MBR Partition Layout and FAT32 Partition Format. Install with the latest Clover BootLoader with the setting shown in thread #20. 

Choose a Customize install and not a Standard install to make sure your setting are correct.

B) 1 usb (8gb0 formatted as GPT Partition Layout and HFS+ Partition Format. Create the High Sierra Boot USB with the terminal command shown in thread

#13. Be sure you name this USB as USB2 if not change the  terminal command to suite the name of your 8GB USB

3) Post Install.... 

As per instructions in thread #1. But Clover install to internal hard disk is as per 2a [thread 20] but you need to add select "Install Colver in ESP". Please refer 

thread #32 attached jpeg for settings...

Note you have to tweak the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched to make sure your system boots from the internal HD. If you are having problems boot with the initial USB [2gb] created in 2a. Once you get to the Desktop of the internal HD.. you can mount the HD EFi and tweak your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patchedj until it works. Please see thread #33

Good luck

bd4utonite2...

PS.. it is up to theOpSis to do a revise guide... I am not the originator of this hack... and pre and post install tools did not come from me. I could not possibly answer what was done with the DSDT patching etc..... but i will try to help you in anyway i can here..... But besides that I have a working x201 with High Sierra thanks to theOpSis...... 

@bd4utonite2: I have asked you about HWMonitor to know if your speedstep is functional, meaning that your CPU is working on different frequencies or not (not the temperatures was the ones I was interested in), which if it does, then you don't have to worry about SSDT#2(if I remember well, that was the trouble making one). 

Thank you for your active support on this subject, next days I will update the guide with the precious infos you have provided and I will credit you as you deserve.

Hi theOpSis...

Can't answer your question... I updated iTunes and i can't boot now... LOL... 
i am getting an error of .. fs_get_inode_with_hint:7825: failed to load inode 1027071 ret 22 Error loading kernel cache (0xe)..
I will try to see what is happening...... from the forums they say the fakeSMC PLugins are causing the problems...
But it was working yesterday for the whole day...hmmmmm must be something i done... like messing with the Clover Theme manager or something..

Regargs

bd4utonite2

Hi...

Cpus are the same as far as frequencies are concerned.. they are showing 1.2ghz temp is hovering around 48/49 deg C...

Guess stepspeed is not working?

Anyways i rebuild my machine because of #44 and now i only have DSDT.aml inside the ACPI/Patched.... 

Regards

bd4utonite2

Until now, only iTunes updated for me, I didn't get any other updates from AppStore. If you can reach the OS, but you don't have QE/CI, just reinstall the video kext, if you can't reach the OS, use the USB stick with the EFI-to reach installer to boot into macOS and reinstall the graphics kext.

Hi ...

The Supplemental Update installed after I took your hint to boot up with USB..

When I did that it finished the installation. So if you do the update as well .. please note

halfway through the update.. it will fail and show you what looks like 4 screens in 1 screen...

If you boot with USB then the installation will complete......

After that.... the system will boot up normally without the USB...

Regards

bd4utonite2

PS.. no need to reinstall the Graphics kext...

I have High Sierra installed on my device for about a month now, but I didn't get any  'Supplemental Update', the only official update coming from AppStore, as I said, was the iTunes one and my macOS High Sierra version is 10.13.

• Moderators

Instead of using 2 usb for installer, I use 1 USB and install Clover with the same settings as the SSD.

post-60220-0-66487000-1508862371.png

I don't have an X201 but I do have a T410s with the 1st gen HD Graphics.

The FB kext attached by OP doesn't work for it since it has a higher resolution 1440x900

So no QE/CI for now. Can't fix the rest of the issue until this is resolved.