[Short GUIDE] Install High Sierra on Lenovo X201 [i5 520M]

TheOpSys

I'll try to make this as simple and short as I can:

Note that you will need two USB Sticks, one for CLOVER and the other one for High Sierra, also keep in mind that you will need a working MacOS system for downloading the HS installer and make the bootable USB.

First of all, make sure that you have checked the following options under BIOS: SATA controller set to AHCI, Display set to Thinkpad LCD, under CPU - Hyper-Threading is Enabled, Virtualization and VT-d feature are both disabled.

You can get the High Sierra installer from the AppStore, make it bootable on your USB Stick via terminal, not with the help of any other third party tool.

To reach the installer and install High Sierra, use folder

EFI-to reach installer.zip

like so: format your USB Stick in FAT32 (a 2GB one is recommended), download the latest CLOVER bootloader, install it on the USB with the options showed in the picture bellow, delete it's content and replace it with 'EFI-to reach installer' content), after that select it under the boot device on startup.

post-60220-0-73371500-1508862331_thumb.png

After you boot into MacOS, load this AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.zip with your favorite kext installer, install CLOVER Bootloader on your HDD with the options showed in the picture bellow, install CLOVER Configurator, mount the EFI partition, delete it's content and replace it with the content of EFI-Post Install.zip file.

post-60220-0-66487000-1508862371_thumb.png

No need to delete any graphic kexts, just follow the steps above.

I have patched my DSDT and SSDT's (you have 'em on EFI-Post Install .zip, under ACPI\patched and you also have the unpatched CLOVER extracted versions under ACPI\origin).

Speedstep is working but is not reaching turbo speed (2.9Ghz), only max 2.66Ghz, brightness buttons are working, sleep/wake from sleep is not working.

Don't know though if those are usable to you, considering that we may have some different hardware components, like RAM's, HDD/SSD, WiFi adapter and/or BIOS settings. You may have to extract and patch yours to be fully functional.

If they are creating you problems, which probably will, just delete 'em from ACPI/patched.

Although I have only tested this on my i5 520M, 1280x800 res. X201, it might also work on other sub-models.

Why [short Guide]?

Because you may/will have to install some other kexts so the hack will work at it's full potential and considering that you already have some knowledge on how this works, I let that on you. 

Credits: thanks to @bd4utonite2 - by reading the first 5 pages of the thread, you will see he's active contribution to this guide.

Enjoy your hack!

• Like 4

Standard Clover install, no custom changes, neither on the USB stick Clover used for the installation process or the one you will install on your HDD after the MacOS installation process has ended. In both cases you will delete the contents of EFI Clover bootloader partitions and replace them with the ones I provided.

I tried that already, but the .zip files are too big.

Hi TheOpSis... 

I am still having the same problem using your instructions..
I get a blinking cursor on the top left hand corner of my laptop screen...
Clover is never booted......just hangs with the cursor blinking... 

Can you please share a screen capture of your Clover EFI.. for initial boot....
I am confuse if you do put the whole content of EFI-to reach installer in the USB's EFI partition
or just the EFI from EFI-to reach installer to the USB EFI partition and the rest like boot, usr.... etc to the
Install maOS High Sierra partition?

My bios is set correctly as i have booted this machine with Mavericks a long time ago...

Cheers

bd4utonite2

PS... i use this to created the boot USB via terminal:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB && say Boot Installer Complete

Well, I hope this time I will expose it more clear:

I recommend you to use a separate USB stick for clover bootloader, format it in MS-DOS FAT via Disk Utility, get Clover from here, make a standard install on the USB stick, go to freshly installed EFI Clover bootloader USB Stick, delete everything you find on it, download EFI-to reach installer.zip, extract it's content ( you should have one file - boot and four folders - EFI, EFI-Backups, Library and usr), copy them in place of previously deleted Clover files and boot from that USB stick.

The terminal command for creating bootable MacOS USB installer seem's to be ok.

post-60220-0-03587700-1508537084_thumb.png

Hi...

Your instructions did not work for me..

I create a USB per your instructions.....

I can see from your attached JPG.... you format your USB to fat32

Then you apply the clover 4259 to the USB....

You go to the EFI partition of the USB (/dev/disk2s1) and delete the EFI folder .

However... the whole contents of the "EFI-to reach installer" is copied to the USB partition (/dev/disk2s2).

For me.. the result is the same [after following the above.... when i boot i never get to the Clover initial boot screen.

When selecting the USB during boot.. the screen is blank (black) and the cursor is a the top left hand corner blinking..

I have a old disk with Yosemite installed for my x201.. it works and i can boot the system.. so from that 

i assume my bios is set correctly 

Any ideas why your instruction is not working.. we have the same spec machine

Thanks

bd4utonite2

Oh... by the way I tried standard install.. before i was installing to USB for EFI booting only...

When i install standard... all the files were written to the USB drive and there is no EFI partition.. which

looks exactly like ur png file you posted... 

But this did not work also...

:(

Hi TheOpSis..

Please find my Clover Standard Install Screen... 

I target this against my USB thumbdrive that is Fat32 formatted....

When the install finishes... I delete all the content in the USB Thumbdrive

and replace it with the contents of EFI-to reach installer ...

Select the USB as boot device on machine startup shows a blank black screen with the cursor

blinking at the top left hand corner..it never gets to the Clover pre-boot screen.....

My Bios has Laptop LCD chosen and also AHCI selected..

Regards.... 

bd4utonite2

post-4582-0-67326100-1508572397_thumb.png

Hi..

My Bios is v1.40 (6QET70WW).

If i am not mistaken.. this was a hacked bios with the wifi card whitelist.

I still have a HD with Yosemite installed on it and that HD boots ok and is working fine.

I am very sure the boot loader we are given is missing something or the way we installed it is wrong..

BIOS setting is quite standard... I think you have to make sure your Display is set to Thinkpad LCD

(for Yosemite when installing I had to use a VGA monitor) and Serial ATA is set to AHCI.

Under CPU my hyper-Threading is Enabled and my Virtualization and VT-d feature are both disabled.

Regards

bd4utonite2