[Mini Guide] HighSierra Dell E5430

vic1

• Moderators

What version of Clover are you using?

Did you use UEFI or Legacy?

Do you have UEFI and AHCI enabled the BIOS?

Set BIOS to Load Default. Apply. Then go back and set to

UEFI,

AHCI,

Legacy Option ROMs enable,

Disable Secure Boot,

enable CPU XD Support

Try replace with this config

config.plist.zip

I tried this with an E5430 - boots and runs for a while before panicing/rebooting

My CPU is Core i5-3230M  vPro, I have the Dell 1540 WiFi. Graphics is the same: HD4000 1600x900

High Sierra works in Virtualbox but I'd like to boot natively.   Do I have to disable vPro? And if I do, is there some EFI setting to do this so I can leave it enabled for Windows?

I found some answers!  Instead of rebooting/panic now it boots into the graphic mode/High Sierra installation

- Vt-D isn't the same as vPro and it's OK to leave vPro enabled in the bios

- I videoed the kernel panic and found that Lilu (1.2) was in the backtrace. I downloaded the latest Lilu release from github then found the Lilu.kext directory in EFI/CLOVER.

There were two identical copies, one in 10.13 and another in Other.   Backed those up and removed them both then unzipped Lilu 1.2.3 -  that fixed the panic.

Other things:

- Dell 1540 WiFi isn't working with this guide

- After booting the USB and selecting install, it doesn't try to install from USB even the Volume is  mounted. I got the Recovery server error which is fixed by connecting the LAN cable and running ntpdate. 

- After re-downloading High Sierra, it needs to reboot a couple of times - just have to go back to Clover boot and select the new boot entry to finish the install (don't boot from the USB again)

So to summarize: update Lilu and it installs and mostly works - just have to fix the WiFi and the mouse has some issues.

Hello.

I've been using High Sierra 10.3.3 flawlessly on an E5430 i5 vPro 1600x900, using a dual monitor setup (external + laptop). Today I've updated to 10.3.4 and suddenly I can't use the external monitor. It remains undetected. If I use Fn+F8 to switch screen, the external monitor is activated but screen is garbaged, and I can't restore it until reboot, even if I switch back to laptop LCD by Fn+F8.

I've been reading, updating kexts, updating Clover, checking config.plist, but I can't get this working. Any tips on what should I try next?

Thanks.

Hello Jake. I had ig-platform-id set to 0x01660004, working flawlessly with 10.3.3. Now, with this id, HDMI output is not working. I've noticed now that if I change it to 0x01660003 I get HDMI working and macOS detects the two screens, but the internal LCD remains black. Backlight seems to work fine, if I use brightness control keys I can see how the backlight on the black screen dims or lights up. Also macOS detects the two screens, so the screen is somewhat working, but I can't see nothing.

I've generated debug files, here they are. Thanks.

debug_7054.zip