DELL LATITUDE E7450 LTE/DOCKING

Dell_lover

Hey guys, 

I have a Dell Latitude E7450 running on Sierra 10.12.5.

First off, I have a question performance wise: I using macOS on it for over a year now and I'm very very happy with the permanence. I can edit video, everything. But lately its feeling kind off slow on some basic tasks like webbrowsing - it is not as snappy as it was. Is that a normal think because the hardware gets older or is it software related? The machine runs on a i7-5600U and 12GB of RAM. 

The next question is related to docking: Is it possible to use the Computer with the WiGig Docking Station from Dell? The WLD15 for example? Or if not: I have a standard port replicator station at home but monitor (DVI, DISPLAYPORT) does not work. Is there a way to fix that ?

Then, and that is the most important one: Is there a way to use LTE? I use this machine for web design and now I have to hotspot to it from my iPhone all the time when I'm showing clients websites. Before I installed macOS is came with a LTE-Card installed and it worked fine in Windows 7. After installing macOS I sold that card because it was not compatible anymore. Now I read on the board that there are people who have a LTE card in their laptops with macOS. What card should I buy to get the latest 4G LTE compatibility on macOS Sierra on my E7450?

Thanks so far...

• Administrators

In all likelyhood, I would expect DVI and/or DP output to require patching of the BDW framebuffer kext as it were required with previous iGPUs. You could study the HD4000 and HD4600 threads on the matter and derive the necessary patches. They would normally be based on the same sort of mods.

I have Dell D1000 Dual Video USB3.0 Docking Station with two 24" Dell monitors. Everything works like a charm on MacOS.

sellpoints_dell_dual_video_usb_3_docking

One monitor is connected over HDMI, other over DP. Even LAN is working without a problem.

To make it work, all you need to do is to install appropriate DisplayLink drivers for macOS from http://www.displaylink.com/downloads

Only potential drawback is the fact that you have to use laptops own power supply, since only connection with laptop is over one of laptops USB ports.

I have no idea will it work with something like Dell E-Port Replicator with USB 3.0.

Everything that is clearly labeled as DisplayLink should work fine.

--

There is no way to use internal LTE card. You could probably use some external USB dongle that is macOS compatible. Huawei E3372 should work (at least based on this info), but it is too big for my taste.

I bought this card, replaced the one stock one and installed a corresponding kext and it works!

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00G2Y4B4E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to unlock the SIM with the Mobile Partner before I can use it or use the Mobile Partner app but other than that all works pretty much as it should. No external solution necessary.

• Like 1

OOPS!!

I am very sorry, but since there is no real MacBook with LTE, I though that my assumption was correct (if hardware is not used, that probably means that there is no drivers). This article was one of main reason for my false assumption.

Since I have DW5809e with SIM card inserted I just tired kext that you posted here but it doesn't work on High Sierra. I am not sure if I have to change something in Info.plist or I need some additional kext. 

Could you post the kext or a link to the package you used + typical bit rates you're getting out of it?

I will as soon as I manage to update to Sierra - currently I'm struggling a bit with it and have a high work load. But it was some kind of a legacy Gobi kext and the Mobile Partner application. I'll let you know asap, I was not aware this was that much interesting.

PS: I found this on my backup drive, I think this is what you need.

GOBI.zip