Need Help

ovi1

Hi,

I used 'dd' in windows to load the SLD430USB.img to a usb drive.

This operation took a while (showed sane progress) and completed without obvious error messages.

=====================

I:\>dd bs=1M if=SLD430USB.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk2\Partition1 --progress

rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.

Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>

This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details

7660+0 records in

7660+0 records out

=====================

I took this to my D630, used the BIOS F12 to force boot from the USB device and the process

fell through to the HDD boot which failed.

I seem to be missing a step to add a valid boot loader or something.

Any ideas?

so, is it true to say that the Windows instructions for the USB pen should at least mention

that more steps have to be executed after the 'dd' command and before you can expect to use

this USB pen on the target machine?

Also, just to clarify, Chameleon (once installed on the main HD) would 'know' where to find

the OSX on the USB pen?

or, it (Chameleon) would be used to modify the USB pen so it is bootable?

sorry about being a pest, but so many of these posts are from expert to expert, they clarify

1 issue and hint at 10 others :)

thanks for taking the time...

ovi

• Administrators

ok basically a boot loader just gives mac os what it needs to boot. so whatever you are going to boot from needs the boot loaders info so osx will be content that it's running from a "real mac" so you will need it for the installer and you will need it for the disk you chose to install osx to. if there's no boot loader then osx will just refuse to load and you will sit at a blank screen.

ok basically a boot loader just gives mac os what it needs to boot. so whatever you are going to boot from needs the boot loaders info so osx will be content that it's running from a "real mac" so you will need it for the installer and you will need it for the disk you chose to install osx to. if there's no boot loader then osx will just refuse to load and you will sit at a blank screen.

i have downloaded the latest Chameleon for Windows, installed it on my laptop, connected the USB pen.

When I clicked 'install' on the tool, nothing seems to happen. I restart the laptop (with the USB pen still in)

and Win7 comes up as before.

Has anybody tried going the complete Windows way? Anyone willing to try this? (BTW I do have a 'legal' Snow Leopard

family pack DVD).

Please help.