Without a Mac

ovi1

http://www.osxlatitude.com/howto-install-osx-snow-leopard-on-your-dell/

claims no Mac is necessary (required list does not mention a mac) and links to

http://www.osxlatitude.com/creating-a-usb-pen-with-osx-installation/

which makes it seem that the USB pen can be made (and boot) without a Mac (on a PC only).

The second page does nto explain how to add the extra.zip and the chameleon package to the

USB pen when only a PC is available.

In the first page, step 2 says 'install and boot' - install and boot what?

the writeup is too concise catering to experts who might not need it and not detailed

enough to some who can use the help.

I have the laptop, the authentic Snow Leopard family pack DVD, all sorts of flash USBs

and the ability to burn DL DVD.

I toyed a bit with Chameleon for Windows but never got it to actually help out in booting anything.

I am not bent on getting a multi boot machine - just want a simple, Snow Leopard laptop.

A good example of a writeup is :

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish

too bad it requires an admin account on and actual Mac.

thanks for any help and I will contribute a writeup suitable to novices like myself when I am done :)

Ovi

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, your second link shows this:

Requirements:

1. 8gb USB pen

2. OSX SL 10.6.0 image (not anything higher)

3. a working OSX machine

So, yes, you need a mac. For me, with only PCs, I followed the USB pen method and used an OSX VM running in VMWare workstation on Win 7. Worked fine.

Well, your second link shows this:

Requirements:

1. 8gb USB pen

2. OSX SL 10.6.0 image (not anything higher)

3. a working OSX machine

So, yes, you need a mac. For me, with only PCs, I followed the USB pen method and used an OSX VM running in VMWare workstation on Win 7. Worked fine.

if you notice, this second link has 2 methods. one that requires the mac (the one you pointed to), but further down there's a second method that makes a point of NOT needing a mac, instead making use of 'our premade image' .

I have seen a lot of examples of people accomplishing a hackintosh having access to a mac and an admin account on that.

I was looking for someone who could help me get it done WITHOUT a mac (as I don't have one) as the second method on the second link claims...

thanks

Ovi

• Administrators

that windows part you mention was written by one of our forum members... when i originally got my d620 working with osx we had none of this... all we had was "leppys" boot disc and a retail cd... with that this entire forum started... so if you want a methode. use that one. its an iso you burn on windows to disk... boot from it eject it and put in your 10.6.0 retail install cd. it does not work with discs that come with macs. only retail. then you can install edp once you have a running os if you so choose sir.

that windows part you mention was written by one of our forum members... when i originally got my d620 working with osx we had none of this... all we had was "leppys" boot disc and a retail cd... with that this entire forum started... so if you want a methode. use that one. its an iso you burn on windows to disk... boot from it eject it and put in your 10.6.0 retail install cd. it does not work with discs that come with macs. only retail. then you can install edp once you have a running os if you so choose sir.

shouldn't we remove the part on windows or replace it with a procedure that works, if any?

Can I please bother you with sending me a link to the "leppys" boot disk?

thank you for responding to my loud screams for help :)

o, and what did i do to deserve the 'sir'? :)

well, i have some good news.

I am now able to boot from a pen and install Mac OS X on my D630's single partition.

Without a mac, what has been needed (so far) is a tool to format Mac partitions on the pen.

Such tool is TransMac (15 days free, $48 license). http://www.acutesystems.com/

Once the partition was formatted (16G flash) I was able to use the 'dd' command to upload

the SLD430mac.img to the USB pen, add the EDP (using transmac) and after numerous prodding

and pleading the pen booted up (boot parameters - PCiboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)UID=1 -x) and created Mac OS on the

hard disk (which i previously cleared using Win7 install CD to remove all partititons...).

Problems so far:

1) If I use Chameleon to try to boot from the HD, it trashes my Mac OS (have to start the

install using the pen all over again).

2) After installing the EDP, Can't get to the Internet. (Using wired connection to my router).

So I guess it is possible to load Mac OS X SL on a D630 without a mac - i will defer judgement

on whether this is actually useful until after I get a smooth boot and an internet connection...

again, thanks for your help.

i will continue to flail around and hopefully manage to get this to be useful for me.

Few months ago, I used the iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) cd from tonycrap site and retail 10.6.0 dvd, followed the instruction from that site, booted into SL, then I installed EDP from this site. That got my D620 running. Later, I made the usb pen from the directions given here. USB + bootpack is a lot faster loading of osx.

Few months ago, I used the iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) cd from tonycrap site and retail 10.6.0 dvd, followed the instruction from that site, booted into SL, then I installed EDP from this site. That got my D620 running. Later, I made the usb pen from the directions given here. USB + bootpack is a lot faster loading of osx.

i tried iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)/10.6.0 retail combo on my D630 and I can never get it to boot. When I use -v, I see a kernel panic right after disabling the second IDE channel. I can never get pass this point and I tried all 8 combinations of PCIRootUID(0,1), w/ or wo/ -x and GraphicsEnabler(yes,no).

The only way I can install an OS is to use the SLD430USB.img but this only works if I use -x.

Booting with -x disables some drivers among which is the Ethernet/Network drivers which is

basically the only thing I need.

I don't care about dual boot, don't care about audio, video (it comes up 1024x768 and that's enough for now).

I don't even care about booting directly to HD, using the USB pen works and that's fine.

I installed the latest EDP from osxlatitude and rebuilt the driver set for a d630/intel (selection 6) but that

did not alleviate the need to boot with -x, hence i am still stuck without Ethernet.

My only remaining problem is networking.

If anybody out there knows a way to get me there I would appreciate the help.

just being cordial... i had another thing in mind... :P just kidding but seriously google is your friend when it comes to matters like this... ;)

ok here is a direct link

and here is his guide

it helped me get from pc to osx

Hi,

I am still not able to get ethernet to set up on my D630.

See details in my reply to Andy below.