Without a Mac

ovi1

Few things to try:

1. For your model, look in org.chameleon.boot.plist in the bootpack. These are some of the flags you can set to get the iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)/retail DVD to work.

2. When you used the SLD430 image, did you use the right bootpack for your model?

3. After you boot into OSX with -x, install EDP, then run the edptool.command from the Extra folder, choose option 1, and then the D630 model you have, also go through the options 2,3,4.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few things to try:

1. For your model, look in org.chameleon.boot.plist in the bootpack. These are some of the flags you can set to get the iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)/retail DVD to work.

2. When you used the SLD430 image, did you use the right bootpack for your model?

3. After you boot into OSX with -x, install EDP, then run the edptool.command from the Extra folder, choose option 1, and then the D630 model you have, also go through the options 2,3,4.

Following all the above I get KP (-x no longer boots, OS is completely down.)

Error messages start with

OSMetaClass: Kext org.netkas.fakesmc class FakeSMC is a duplicate; kext org.netkas.FakeSMC a;ready has a class by that name

Kext org.netkas.fakesmc start failed (result 0xdc00400a).

Kext org.netkas.fakesmc failed to load (0xdc008017).

1. After installing Chameleon from edptool, I ran it and looked at the flags - they were the same as in org.chameleon.boot.plist.

When I tried to run anything Chameleon's 'Install' tab - they all failed, requiring a network connection to be set...duh :)

2. If by bootpack you mean the EDP, I downloaded 1.9.2 which is the latest required for SL - right?

3. As I mentioned before, following this procedure gives me KP very early and I have to reinstall from USB and start from scratch.

Do you know what kext or set of kexts are required for ethernet to work?

What I am thinking is, after I boot into safe mode, if I can just get internet connection within safe mode, maybe following the setup you recommended will actually work...

off to reinstalling my OS... :)

thanks

remove fakesmc from s/l/e.... why it's there i don't know....

how do i do that?

can i do this while my HD based OS is in the dumpster i.e. boot from the pen and access the HDD somehow?

rememeber:

1) I am Mac OS green.

2) I started from SLD430USB.img . For all i know - this is a binary, right? and if so

how do I 'remove' stuff out of there?

remove fakesmc from s/l/e.... why it's there i don't know....

it occurs to me that this (fakeSmc) is being added by installing and/or using EDP in the prescribed manner.

I say this because, before I install and use EDP, I can boot all the way with -x.

does this make sense?

• Administrators

it's a possability... i remember some one having the same issues with d630 awhile back... might have been Andy. not sure. but normaly edp should not dump kexts straight into s/l/e like that. only 0EDP.kext will go into s/l/e but that's in 2.2 for lion.

no easy way without being able to boot into osx. unless you know abd understand terminal commands... or connect the harddrive to another mac and delete it.

well, i am able to boot into osx (before I attempt to use EDP to re-build...).

where would i find this kext?

i am fairly confident around Unix/Linux command shells as well.

no easy way without being able to boot into osx. unless you know abd understand terminal commands... or connect the harddrive to another mac and delete it.

ok, after i renamed the fakeSMC dir in EDP, my Ethernet connection is up, however, i still need the -x in order to boot.

without the -x, the boot process takes about 45-50 seconds and then the screen goes blank. When I use -v

to try to see where exactly that happens, it happens too fast and I can tell.

i will try to get more info on this.

Another thing that's happened since i got the internet connection is that Chameleon from edptool can stay up - it crashes.

If I disconnect the network cable it stays up but will only let me update the flags - changing the boot sector

requires internet connection.

Any insight as to why Chameleon crashes when network connection is present?

I seem to be making good progress and I really appreciate the help from you and Andy.