Help request on Latitude E7440 High Sierra Clover

jones333333

Hi to all,

Could someone help me with theses issues that I encounter on my Dell Latitude E7440 i7-4600u running High Sierra :

I am lost on getting the sound working on this laptop, audio chipset is a  Realtek Alc292.

I tried to understand several tutorials about this and also patching AppleHda on the fly with clover but without any success...

My second issue is that the battery is draining very very fast (1or 2 % per minutes). I also check with a new battery and got the same result. I created a SSDT file and I followed several tutorial in order to patch my DSDT with the hope to fix this but I am certainly missing something here... 

I also replace the Intel WIFI card by a Qualcomm card with Atheros 9565 chip. I got it working using a kext found on the WEB (Airportatheros40.kext). It's working but it's really not stable and sometimes the download speed become very slow without any reason.

Could someone please check the content of my EFI folder ? it also contain de original DSDT and SSDT dumped by clover using F4.

I also join a debug file of my system.

Thanks in a advance for your help.

EFI.zip

debug_18484.zip

Jake Lo: If I remember well, I followed these 2 posts that you linked in order to successfully install High Sierra on this laptop.

The difference is that I wanted to patch my own DSDT, I mean trying g to do it by myself. I found a specific file on the web with several patch for the E7440 but maybe this one isn't perfect/. I join it to this post, may I ask you to take a look at this in order to check that these patches are the good one for my system ?

I replaced the audio layout in the config.plist and used the kext that you provided me but without any success. I am pretty sure that I am missing something.

Hervé: I am aware of the poor choice for the WIFI card and I am planning to replace it. I need to study this because I really want make the best choice regarding the WIFI card.

debug_31959.zip

Dell E7x40 patches.txt

• Moderators

If you had looked at the bootpack from my guide I linked, you would've seen the hotpatches for the audio which is what you're missing.

I know of Pokenguyen's patches, he is one of our crew and has a guide here but it's a bit outdated with the patches and kexts.

Made some modifications to the patches and added a few. Had to remove the brightness patch, no longer works on 10.12.4 and up. Added HDMI and SD Card reader patches

You'll need the SSDT-PNLF.aml + AppleBacklightInjector.kext found in my bootpack and add to Config file under SSDT sorted order and hot patch. See my Config file for clues.

Updated file. There will be decompiling issue, need to fix this 

Update: I created a patch to fix this automatically here

If (LEqual (PM6H, One))                
                {
                    CreateBitField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y0C._RW, ECRW)  // _RW_: Read-Write Status
                    Store (Zero, ECRW (If (PM0H)
                            {
                                CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y0D._LEN, F0LN)  // _LEN: Length
                                Store (Zero, F0LN)
                            }))
                }

to this before patching or after patching

If (LEqual (PM6H, One))                 {
                    CreateBitField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y0C._RW, ECRW)  // _RW_: Read-Write Status
                    Store (Zero, ECRW)
                }

If (PM0H)
                {
                   CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._Y0D._LEN, F0LN)  // _LEN: Length
                    Store (Zero, F0LN)

}

Dell E7x40 patches.txt

Jake Lo, when I apply your patch to my DSDT I am getting 3 errors after compiling

8441, 6507, Unknown directive (Preprocessor)

8442, 6126, syntax error, unexpected '}', expecting '{'

19465, 6126, syntax error, unexpected $end and premature End-Of-File

For your info, before applying your patches I first corrected some syntax errors of the original DSDT file. 

Ok I applied the patch one by one and I did compile after each patch to found where the issue was and there seems to be some lines in the audio pais patchedtch that weren't in their place. I removed these and all was fine. Dsdt is correctly patched.

I also followed the advices of Jake Lo and now the laptop is fully functional. 

One issue remaining is the battery draining exessively fast. I could be happy if the laptop holds 30 minutes on battery.

I received a new battery today as I was not sure that the 2 others one were still in a good state but I get exactly the same result. So there is maybe something that's wrong in my configuration as the battery holding more than Six hours under Windows. So I continue investigating on this.

Herve I will follow your advice regarding the WIFI card, just need to check if I have enough place to put it in this laptop.

Thanks again for your help both. I will keep this post updated if I find a solution regarding my battery issue.