E5530 and High Sierra: HDMI Connected TV Issue

dpw95

Greetings All,

I made the leap to High Sierra on my E5530 recently, with the steps outlined at:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-xps-clover-guide/

I had used the same guide to install El Capitan and Sierra before this.

I keep this laptop connected to our big screen TV via a HDMI cable.  An issue has come to light with High Sierra that did not occur with the previous MacOS releases.

With the laptop's lid closed (which is typically the state I have it), the TV will show the desktop display just fine.  However, if I change the TV off of the HDMI input that the laptop is using (i.e. by selecting another HDMI input, or cable input), the laptop immediately goes to sleep mode.

Anyone also come upon this and stumble upon a resolution that will allow the laptop to remain awake while connected via HDMI to a TV that is not tuned to that HDMI input?

• Administrators

it is not a bug but an osx feature. your TV might be sending a sleep command to the machine when switching inputs. some HDMI ports have a small symbol might be Calle ARC next to the port those ports allow to sync with connected devices so they can sleep or shutdown together and many other things.

Perhaps. At the same time, this same hardware didn’t do this before High Sierra. Other devices like PS4 and Apple TV don’t have this behavior on the same TV either.

I wonder if there’s a kext to introduce to the system that will show the option that Jake called out that I don’t have to toggle at this time.

• Administrators

Screen sleep and computer sleep are 2 x different things and are usually displayed as separate elements in the Energy Savings PrefPane. I've no laptops newer than Haswell but can confirm that Apple had merged the 2 x for Haswell systems. This can however be reverted. All details available here.