D820 Intel ... no network, wired or wireless, no keyboard.

sstillwell

Booted from USB and installed OS X

Rebooted

Booted from USB -> Hard disk

Installed EDP 1.9.2

Ran /Extras/edptool.command

Chose D820-Intel

Chose apple trackpad/keyboard

Chose NullCPU

Chose SleepEnabler

Chose Virtual Speedstep (or whatever it was called...)

Installed Chameleon

Installed 10.6.8 Combo Update

Rebooted.

There is no network device in the list in the network pref pane, and if I try to add it, there is no ethernet adapter shown.

Mouse (trackpad) appears to work, but keyboard does not. If I plug in a USB keyboard/mouse, those work fine.

Also, video aspect ratio seems to be off...the only resolution shown is 1280 x 1024 instead of the 1680 x 1050 that it's capable of.

Machine is on A07 bios, with 4GB RAM (3.3-ish GB available)

When I booted from USB->Hard disk the first time, the video and keyboard were fine, even if the network wasn't there yet.

Ideas?

Scott

• Administrators

you can rebuild edp with different trackpad options... i believe the boot back uses the debug trackpad option 2... for graphics you can change it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist set it to your native resolution 1680x1050x32 .

Graphics Mode

1680x1050x322

intel wifi does not work....

you can rebuild edp with different trackpad options... i believe the boot back uses the debug trackpad option 2... for graphics you can change it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist set it to your native resolution 1680x1050x32 .

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x322</string>

intel wifi does not work....

What about the wired LAN adapter? It's not showing up either.

Should I use the Chameleon (RC5) that is downloadable directly from the site, or use the newer version that can be installed from "Tools" in the EDP? The newer one shows me a lot of options, including the default resolution change and an option that appears to be to enable "built-in" ethernet.

I can buy a Broadcom wifi card, no biggie (assuming I can physically swap it out).

Scott

it came to dawn on me... are you booting in 64bit by any chance....

you can use the one in edp or newer... 1791 seems to work well

Could be...I didn't take any action to NOT boot 64-bit. I followed the instructions precisely...which didn't mention anything about it. I'll try again when I get home.

Scott

Could be...I didn't take any action to NOT boot 64-bit. I followed the instructions precisely...which didn't mention anything about it. I'll try again when I get home.

Scott

Woo! I think that did it. I noticed that if you install Chameleon from EDP, it actually nukes (moves) the /Extra directory. After that, I REINSTALLED EDP, then reconfigured the kexts. Booted beautifully. I thought I didn't have network access (Safari didn't work), but when I went into Network preferences for the first time, it identified a new Ethernet adapter and configured it. Works a treat.

Now I just need to find a wireless card on fleabay and start testing out sleep, etc.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Scott

Woo! I think that did it. I noticed that if you install Chameleon from EDP, it actually nukes (moves) the /Extra directory. After that, I REINSTALLED EDP, then reconfigured the kexts. Booted beautifully. I thought I didn't have network access (Safari didn't work), but when I went into Network preferences for the first time, it identified a new Ethernet adapter and configured it. Works a treat.

Now I just need to find a wireless card on fleabay and start testing out sleep, etc.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Scott

Whoops, spoke too soon. Sleep is working fine (after setting a System password in BIOS), but Activity Monitor crashes the system with the darkened screen and the multi-language "Power me off and back on" message.

Can that be worked around, or is it just a "no go"? I was mostly just trying to check if both cores were working.

Scott

EDIT: Just picked up a DW1490 wifi card on eBay for $6 with free shipping and 30-day guarantee. Can't beat that with a stick!

repair your disk permissions with disk utility

Dude...you are GOOD. :) Worked perfectly. System running on both cores, 1.25% User, 2.5% System, 96% Idle. PStateMenu is probably the biggest consumer of CPU, but it's ticking along just fine.

Since you're batting 100%, do you know if the PCMCIA slot should function? I'm half-tempted to get an RME audio interface and run Logic or Pro Tools on it for portable recording. Firewire shows up okay in System Profiler, so I could fall back to a Firewire or USB interface if PCMCIA doesn't work.

Scott