E6400 OSX Help

MidNightGalaxy

Hey! Restoring a E6400 since it was my first laptop back in the day and i want to do something interesting with it. I was hoping someone could inform me the latest OSX i could install on it. I been trying to find out but most guides are a couple years old.

I just need a pointer on where to start and i will be okay from there.

I also need help choosing a wifi card and if a Dell 1510 wifi card is good enough, 

Specs

T9550 Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz (Used to be a P8600)

4GB 800MHZ

500 GB WD Black

NVS 160M 256MB

fyi this is my first time installing OSX on a laptop. 

thanks

Edit; Windows 7 64BIT

Main rig has 10 Pro with vitrual box osx el capitan 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

If you have a model with Intel GMA4500, forget it, it's not supported by any version.

If you have a model with the nVidia GPU, you can install any version from Snow Leopard 10.6 to High Sierra 10.13 since you have a Penryn CPU with SS4 instructions set. For OS X versions up to Mavericks 10.9, you can use myHack to install the OS. From Yosemite up to Sierra, you can refer to my D630 guide (Enoch based) for guidelines. For High Sierra, you'll have to use Clover. In all cases, use a E6400 bootpack (should be available in the EDP database or in existing E6400 threads).

Thanks for the reply! I do have the model with the 160M, i have no idea why i did not say this. My bad. Quick question, I heard some people said you can install the OS directly into the hard drive. Is this possible for E6400? I have El Capitan running on VitrualBox (works great) but i do not have a flash drive with the 8gb required to make any usb installation work (my 32 micro to usb is getting an error when i try to format). Don't mind buying one, if i could do it another way it would save time.

Ok, i have a 160GB External Hard Drive that has been sitting for a while. I'll see if it El Capitan lets me format this one. Thank you. I will be trying Yosemite for now to see if everything works then later installing High Sierra or downgrading to a less intensive OS version. Mind if you could explain E6400 bootpack, i tried to look for some info but only found actual dell forums on this. Thanks. 

After a whole day of trial and error, i finally have Yosemite installed. I don't have a wifi card currently (using a LinkPal 6wireless usb i had around), going to get a 1510 off ebay eventually but i am still waiting on a couple cosmetic parts for the Latitude. Is it worth to install High Sierra? If it is i might just do it tonight.

Having issues with Yosemite. I used this guide "E6400 Nvidia NVS 160M (not Intel GMA) Yosemite CLOVER Guide"

1st issue i'm running into is my laptop shuts off after it heats up. Using HWMonitor to see, GPU Die is the one that slowly crawls up till the computer shuts off. i tried going through posts under "E6400 Nvidia NVS 160M (not Intel GMA) Yosemite CLOVER Guide" and a couple people mentioned it but no one found a fix. I used Hervé post "nVidia GPU performance tuning with AGPM"  to edit Info plist to see if it makes a difference.

my second issue is when i close the lid on the E6400 the screen stays on. Is this a norm for the E6400? Sleep works when i press the button and/or when i use apple menu to put it to sleep.