Install OSX 10.7 Lion on D630 X3100

Mariusz

Few days ago I’ve decided to stretch my hackintoshing bones a bit and try out Lion on Dell Latitude D630 that was once sent to me by Anders for testing (the day I suspended my activity at Osxlatitude I left the laptop with Mac OS X 10.6.7 perfectly working to lay down on the shelf).

So lately I’ve prepared my self an hackintosh friendly USB Lion installation media - stuffed with EDP kick start files and a copy of EDP 2.2. Crossed my fingers and booted from the pen-drive. Turned out that the installer booted with no problem, the only small disadvantage was that the keyboard and mouse was not recognized. The USB keyboard and mouse came in handy at that point. I’ve wiped all data using Disk Utilities and installed Lion. After installation, once again, I’ve booted from the USB media choosing freshly installed system this time. And here it was almost perfect Lion working on D630 X3100. Why almost perfect? There was no sound, wifi, ethernet and touchpad, but with the minimal kickstart kexts, this was a normal thing. I’ve installed EDP 2.2 from the pen-drive. Installed Chameleon and Configured it for D630 X3100. Restarted and booted, this time from the HDD and voila. Sound, Ethernet and Touchpad worked. To be honest I was disappointed that the wifi was not working from the start this meant that my Dell 1395 injection in dsdt was no good for Lion, what later turned out that Apple dropped the support for Broadcome 4315 chip, at least the way it was supported in Snow Leopard. Didn’t have time to play with it to long I’ve decided to replace the IO80211Familly.kext with the one from Snow Leopard and edited it to include more device id’s. After rebooting, the wifi was recognized and working perfectly. At that point I thought that the system was fully operational to later find out that the OpenGL was extremely sloooow. The Lion GUI was performing OK, but accelerated content was extremely choppy not to mention watching FullHD video content in 11fps was not an option for me. Again, I knew from Snow Leopard that GMA X3100 can do much better than that, so I’ve replaced Lion’s AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one from SL and could report 24-29fps in 1080p Live-TV streams over wifi and 28fps in Xbench OpenGL test.

So Dell Latitude D630 with Intel GMA X3100 turned out to be an excellent Lion Hackintosh, good enough for every day use.

Short recap of steps taken:

- Prepare Lion USB Install pen-drive (don't waste your time doing it by hand like I did - use myHack method)

- download and copy all necessary files on Lion USB Install pen-drive (Kick start Extra folder, Chameleon, EDP 2.2, Kext's)

- Install and configure Lion

- Install Chameleon-2.1svn-r1791.pkg and EDP 2.2.pkg

- run edptool.command from /Extra and configure EDP for D630 X3100 (answers: 1 - 6 -1 - n - y)

- replace org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Extra/ with the one's from this post

- reboot and use your Ethernet to update system to 10.7.2 or if You have a combo update install it and reboot.

- replace IO80211Family.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/

- done!

Update: Users with X3100 @ 1440x900 use DSDT from this post.

Extra.zip

Chameleon-2.1svn-r1791.pkg.zip

SLE.zip

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hey mate,

Welcome back and nice find.

I'll consider to add a kext patch package to EDP3 that contains the two kexts above and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.6.7 (this fixes so that coolbook works on Lion)

Btw.. if you want a recap or test EDP 3, then catch me on skype

I keep getting a kernel panic when I try to boot into the installation pen-drive with my wireless enabled. If I disable my wireless, The installer boots fine, but I don't have wireless. (kinda the point of buying a laptop). Any Ideas?

EDIT: Specifically it has to do with the com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx

• Administrators

I keep getting a kernel panic when I try to boot into the installation pen-drive with my wireless enabled. If I disable my wireless, The installer boots fine, but I don't have wireless. (kinda the point of buying a laptop). Any Ideas?

EDIT: Specifically it has to do with the com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx

disable the wifi in bios when installing, and turn it back on after your install is finished :)

yep

I was able to install Lion on my D630 only after I disabled Wifi in bios. Enabling the Wifi gives me KP early.

I used myHack and Simeonoff's Extra.

After install, even after following Simeonoff (Dazzler, Dassler...) suggestions on modifying Info.plist, I keyboard is still unrecognized.

I have no ethernet or audio.

I have tried Mariusz (before I realized that my Wifi is giving me the KPs) and I was getting nowhere.

Is there a kext for Intel integrated NIC?

disable the wifi in bios when installing, and turn it back on after your install is finished :)

if I turn it back on in the bios after install, I still get KP.

Is there a way to turn it on after being all booted up?

sorry, I am not a very experienced Apple user but I did search long and wide for being

able to turn it on after boot.