D630 - safe mode and Ethernet problems

ovi1

I am trying to get a D630 to boot Snow Leopard to the point where it has internet connection.

My D630 is a Core2 Duo system.

I used windows install disk to remove all partitions from the HDD.

I downloaded SLD430USB.img (to my home PC) using instruction from http://www.osxlatitude.com/creating-a-usb-pen-with-osx-installation/

I used TransMac to format my USB flash stick and then used the dd command to load the image into the USB flash drive.

After this step, TransMac actually showed my flash drive as a valid mac disk.

I downloaded EDP 1.9.2 and used Transmac to transfer this to the flash drive.

I used the same mechanism to load Chameleon-v2.0-RC5-r665.pkg_.zip from the page above and transfer to the

USB drive.

I then was able to boot from this USB flash drive but only if I typed 'PCIRootUID=1 -x' when the boot menu showed the USB Mac Os icon.

The system then walked me though the install process which I used to create a single partition and format it (HFS+ Journaled).

After installing both EDP and the Chameleon packages, the boot process was stable but only if I used the above mentioned boot flags.

If I forgot to type those in, I would end up with a blank screen shortly after startup.

Without changing anything through Chameleon yet, I tried to use the network assistant to setup my internet access.

I then would not be able to select any type of connection (I have a DSL connection with a router anf the D630 is connected to one

of the router's ports. I think this is due to the safe mode.

So, why am I forced to boot into safe mode?

Can someone please help out on this?

Ovi

• Administrators

PCIRootUID=1 is normal for nvidia d630. -x kills certain drivers and caches, double check your machine to confirm video card in bios and build EDP for that type video. also look at your resolution while there you might have to set it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

now if your issue is during a snow leo install you might have issues detecting networks just tell it this computer does not connect to the internet. once it finishes then just run edp and build for your machine then reboot after edp finishes... if your card is compatible then it will ask to join networks on first boot.

PCIRootUID=1 is normal for nvidia d630. -x kills certain drivers and caches, double check your machine to confirm video card in bios and build EDP for that type video. also look at your resolution while there you might have to set it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

now if your issue is during a snow leo install you might have issues detecting networks just tell it this computer does not connect to the internet. once it finishes then just run edp and build for your machine then reboot after edp finishes... if your card is compatible then it will ask to join networks on first boot.

1) Bios says I have Intel Crestline (not nvidia).

2) How do 'build EDP' for that video?

well, the good news is that now i know what edptool is, and i know what 'install Chameleon from EDP' means.

the bad news is that when I select 6 (D630+Intel X3100, I assume this is Crestline) from the Kext models available it

destroys my SL installation - it can no longer be booted and I have to restore it by reloading from the

USB pen (a 45 min hit...).

The confirmation info just before the kext build starts states that the model build is i386 - somehow this

does not seem right but i could not find a way to change of affect this...

Help!!! :)