E7440: Problems with graphic after install High Sierra

XirurG

Hello.

After install High Sierra at this instruction i have 2 problems with graphic:

1. Don't work DVI and VGA on my Doc-station. If i connect the laptop while running the image is not output to an external monitor. If i connect laptop and after power on. System not start.

2. At boot time i have scattered apple

How to fix this?

P.S. my laptop Dell Latitude E7440 i5 4300u 8GB 1366x768 High Sierra APFS on SATA SSD

• Administrators

As stated in my above research thread, I've not been able to obtain dual/multiple displays on my Haswell/HD4600 Latitude E6440 (close cousin of the E7440) with my Dell E-Port docking stations/port replicators (PR02X/PR03X) since Sierra 10.12.3. It did work with earlier Sierra versions and still does under El Capitan / Yosemite / Mavericks.

VGA is not normally supported under Haswell graphics but, since you have HD4400 built in your i5-4300u, you may find it works OOB directly off the laptop.

Binary patch that fixes final stage boot glitch (what you call the "scattered apple") for High Sierra is well known and readily available...

In: IOGraphicsFamily
Find: 0100007522
Replace by: 010000EB22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Don't confuse Ivy Bridge integrated graphics HD4000 with Haswell integrated graphics HD4400/4600/etc. Although some general principles apply to all generations of framebuffers (eg: framebuffers indexes, connector types), HD4000 stuff is irrelevant and not applicable to Haswell platforms. It's critical to understand that despite an apparent (but incorrect) link in terms of numbers (4 thousands), these are different generations of integrated graphics.

JakeLo gave you a link to my Haswell graphics patching guide in post #2 and the guide clearly states limitations encountered from Sierra 10.12.3 and these are also stated in post #3. Not much I can add, I'm afraid... Something changed in the Azul framebuffer (or elsewhere) after early versions of Sierra and this no longer supports multiple displays with DVI output. HDMI and DP remain Ok though.