Interested in moving backwards to 10.5

macmunky

I have a flawless working D620 thanks to you guys. But I am using my D620 for mixing with Traktor and there seems to be a performance problem. I don't see the problem when using Windows 7 on this laptop or Leopard 10.5 on my MacBook Pro (Early 2006). It is a T7200 w/ 2GB Ram. I would like to install 10.5 on it, but not

Things I have done:

I have created a USB boot drive, and it works up until the Leopard installer screen. When the "galaxy" screen shows up, I get a spinning beachball.

I have installed the modded BIOS.

When I copy the "Extra" file to the USB boot drive I get a kernel panic.

If I remove just the preboot.dmg from the Extra folder, kernel panic goes away.

Am I going about this the right way? Would I see a huge performance boost going to 4gb ram, and upgrading the CPU to a T7600?

I had a TON of problems in Pro Tools 8LE on my D620 where Windows XP was fine. They went away entirely when I chose to run my CPU at max (1992MHz) from the PStateMenu. I think it's overly-aggressive in down-clocking the CPU, making it choke. Then when I'm done in PT I go back to On Demand Performance and the CPU starts down-clocking again.

You won't get more than approximately 3.25GB of usable RAM on the 945GM chipset, though. You need a D630 or other 965GM chipset to get everything out of 4GB. Upgrading the RAM even to 3GB should make a big difference, and my PT sessions are very comfortable that way.

I had a TON of problems in Pro Tools 8LE on my D620 where Windows XP was fine. They went away entirely when I chose to run my CPU at max (1992MHz) from the PStateMenu. I think it's overly-aggressive in down-clocking the CPU, making it choke. Then when I'm done in PT I go back to On Demand Performance and the CPU starts down-clocking again.

You won't get more than approximately 3.25GB of usable RAM on the 945GM chipset, though. You need a D630 or other 965GM chipset to get everything out of 4GB. Upgrading the RAM even to 3GB should make a big difference, and my PT sessions are very comfortable that way.

Thank you. I will most definitely upgrade the memory. I actually forgot that I had posted this, so in my troubleshooting travels; I did find there seems to be a bug in Traktor Pro 2 that hogs the CPU. It sits idle at 90% (CPU Usage). I went back and installed Traktor Pro 1, and the CPU is barely above 15%.