Optiplex 9020: cannot reach the installer screen

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, my Dell has i7-4790, 3.6GHz, 16GB ram, integrated graphics. BT through a USB adapter. No wifi. Apple services all working except iMessage. 2 Dell monitors (P2314H 23-inch) managing 1920x1080. Hardly a gaming machine.  and running latest version of HS (10.13.3) with no issues.

First I upgraded the BIOS to v21 (now to v22 released in Feb). There are more sleep/wake options than in v03, which is where I started.  This is probably worth the upgrade. Copy 09020A22.exe to a DOS-formatted USB drive and do a flash BIOS update

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=9GC60

In the bios - in addition to everything else:
Performance - C-States control on
Power - Deep sleep - Enabled in S4 and S5 (probably the default)
USB wake support - enabled
Wake on LAN - LAN only
Block sleep (S3 state) - not checked

Clover config: can't recall if any of these were selected by default or unnecessarily by me.
Acpi: checked FixLAN, FixRegions, FixHeaders
boot: -v -xcpm dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1, EthernetBuiltIn=Yes
Kernal and kext patches: Apple RTC, KernalPm, DellSMBIOSPatch

Couldn't tell you which is the secret ingredient, but I hope this helps. Any idea what DellSMBIOSPatch does?

*** EDIT:

Ha, scratch that. Just had a crash after sleep. Ignore my clover config advice because I suck. The bios update still probably a good idea. Maybe we need a new thread for Optiplex 9020 discussion.

• Moderators

Actually more for laptops SMBios like MacBookPro12,1 or something similar will get truncated to MacBookPro12 as Bronxteck said. Desktops' SMBios are much shorter and won't be affected.

Thanks for the info, will give them a try.

Ok, you had a crash but is it always the case? In my case (and I would guess Jake too), kp is instantaneous when trying to wake the computer. And it's always the same kp with something related to acpi, in my case at least.

The only thing that we don't share in common with you is the CPU: yours is an Haswell-refresh (4790) and ours are Haswell first iteration (4770). I also had BIOS 0A20 and now, 0A22 and the bug remains...

• Moderators

No need of bootable USB to flash BIOS or Windows

You could either place the exe in the /EFI directory or on any USB drive

Select F12 at boot, Select BIOS Flash Update

At the Dialogue box, browse to the location of the .exe

Begin Flash Update.

Done

Anyway, updated BIOS and set BIOS settings as you mentioned didn't make a difference.