MediaBay-HDD not working since Sierra

nisi80

Hello,

I have a Latitude E6430 with High Sierra.

In my old installation on a Latitude E6420 with El Capitan, I had a 500GB HDD for music and data in my media bay.

I tried to install Sierra and High Sierra on this old machine, but facing problems with the built-in HD3000 leads me to buy a newer E6430.

During the upgrade steps, I found out, that the HDD in the MediaBay was not recognized by Sierra and High Sierra on both machines.

Can anyone give me an advice, to bring the extra storage online again?

All I see in the diskutility is an un-initialized disk, which should be initialized, but during unmounting, even in terminal manually, it stops and nothing happened.

When I connect the disk to my other hack (Workstation with Sierra) the disk appears with its data.

I already reformatted the disk, but without effect.

It seems to me, that there is some kext missing, accessing the Mediabay SATA port.

When I insert the OS installation disk, the boot-up in verbose mode do not find the disk.

post-77637-0-27453100-1516378954_thumb.png

post-77637-0-59792900-1516378966_thumb.png

Hello,

I don't know what is causing your difficulties. I have a E6420 running Sierra with a hard drive in the media slot that boots Windows. I don't see the Windows disk in the Clover boot screen but I see it after Sierra has booted. I can play music files from the disk. I can't write to it as it is NTFS and I haven't tried formatting a disk in that slot. I had El Capitan also on this machine previously and I think I could boot Windows from Clover. So might be something with Clover.

Sierra runs fairly well on my E6420. It is a version with Optimus but is set to use HD3000. I do see an occasional artifact but not bad. It seems to be dependent on what software is running. I did not use everything in the Clover boot pack.

Hello,

thank you for the replies!

I can see the drive inserted in the MediaBay in Clover without any problem.

When I insert the OS SSD into the MediaBay, Clover boots and I can select the right disk to boot further.

But after some messages in verbose mode, the system is not able to see the disk any longer, and I will receive a timeout.

When I connect the additional HDD with the E-SATA port, the disk is detected fine and I can access the data without any probelm.

I think, it has to do with some kind of driver or kext inside High Sierra.

I will try to check the HFSPlus.efi.

The problem starts with my first experiments with Sierra on the 6420.

I also tried to find differences in the Kext-Packs, but did not find the problem, yet.

@Mac Hosehead:

I tried to install Sierra and High Sierra also on the 6420 but had graphic freezes during fotos.app was indexing the library and also other apps like Safari when downloading files and making the animation.

I looked through the logs and found, that the problem is caused by the HD3000 chip.

This is a problem since the El Capitan upgrade to 10.11.5

With the HD4000 I did not noticed any kind of this problem.

"Fascinating", as Spock would say. This laptop is my daily workhorse. I have never seen a freeze relating to HD3000. I don't use fotos.app or Safari but I can play movies or a simple 3D game. i would have gone back to El Capitan if it was buggy. I do not have a high-resolution display however.

I had a spare disk caddy and a test install disk with HFS+. I can read and write to it in the MediaBay. I suspect something with Clover.

Hello,

here is, what I can see in IOReg-Explorer.

The first picture show, when a DVD drive is inserted and the second one, when the HDD is inserted.

I think, there is a strange difference to the OS SSD on port 0.

What do you think?

post-77637-0-56366700-1516715997_thumb.png

post-77637-0-90205200-1516716018_thumb.png

You are welcome to try my Clover directory. It is for Sierra on a E6420 with HD3000 and low-resolution display. I believe you would need the DSDT for the high-resolution display from the boot pack. You would also need to generate a new SSDT. Clover version 4184.

There are some small quirks to this machine but minor from my viewpoint. 

I have deleted the AICPUPM.kext and I think you mean the IOAHCISerialATAPI_Injector.kext, which was located in both folders (L*/E* and Clover/kexts

I also put the 1.2.1 version of the Lilu.kext into the Clover folder.

But I do not see any difference.

I tried also to connect the HDD on the eSATA port, also with the MediaBay tray with the correct cable.

And what should I say, this works without a problem.

The MediaBay itself is not.

This means, the HDD has GUID with data, the HDD-tray is working and also the MediaBay itself is working with a DVD drive.

I think a HW issue is not the case, there must be another problem with Clover or my configuration files.