MediaBay-HDD not working since Sierra

nisi80

Hello,

I am seeing the MediaBay issue with a recent installation of High Sierra on E6330. I have a Windows disk in the bay and it is properly listed in System Info. But I see a couple of disk error messages in verbose and it wants to initialize the disk after the boot.

The laptop boots Windows from the disk in the bay just fine.

OK, more information. I apologize for the screwing around.

If I use the provided DSDT with a laptop SMBIOS then I cannot access the drive in the MediaBay. If I use a iMac or Mini SMBIOS then it is accessible.

Not being able to access the drive in the bay is not a big concern for me but it would be nice to not get the disk initialization message after every boot. 

• Like 1

It would seem that a laptop SMBIOS enforces a 1 internal HDD limit. The Sierra install on my E6420, which is set to a MacBookPro, shows the HDD in the MediaBay as external and ejectable. I do not know if it is possible to achieve this in the DSDT.

I have decided to live with the disk initialization message. It slows the boot but if sleep is working well then I avoid booting often. 

I tried to generate a new SSDT, while the MediaBay-HDD was connected, but there was no change.

It seems, that the SSDT contains only CPU specific properties, like TurboBoost and C-States.

I tried also to use an El Capitan DSDT.aml, but the laptop was not booting at all.

Is there a way, to look inside the file in a human readable way, to see the differences?

PS: I can life with this as well, but while the HDD is inside and after the iniitialization message, I notices, that the OS is permanently accessing the drive and the shutdown was delayed massively. So I think, this (unrecognized HDD in the MediaBay) is not optimal for normal operation.

• Administrators

If you're talking about generating a SSDT with Pike R Alpha's script, yes, that's always been specifically for CPU power management, nothing else so no hope to be had with that...

If anything, you'd have to look at patching the DSDT further or adding a tailored-made SSDT for your MediaBay device. Info posted above states that the MediaBay is accessible depending on SMBIOS. What you can do with that is:

1. experiment with SMBIOS profiles to identify those that provide visibility andor access to your MediaBay drive
  2. grab the IOReg + ACPI dumps posted on the web for those Mac models (there's a dedicated thread for this in the OS X/macOS forum subsection)
  3. compare those IOReg + DSDT/SSDT files with those of your own E6430

Here are two screenshots of ioregs.

In E6420, the MediaBay Physical Interconnect Location is listed as External and HDD works.

In E6330, the MediaBay Physical Interconnect Location is listed as Internal and HDD does not work.

I would not know how to resolve this but any hints could be helpful.

For now, I am resigned to enabling and disabling MediaBay in BIOS. Enable = always boot to Windows. Disable = always boot to MacOS.

post-14478-0-57565800-1518807112_thumb.png

post-14478-0-82272200-1518807126_thumb.png