[HELP] E6540 High Sierra install

sunilkumar

Jake, thank you for the prompt reply. Even though AppleHDA_ALC292.kext is present, it is not being included in the 'kextcache -Boot -U /' output. Any ideas why?

sh-3.2# pwd
/System/Library/Extensions
sh-3.2# ls -R AppleH
AppleHDA.kext/            AppleHIDMouse.kext/       AppleHSSPISupport.kext/
AppleHDA_ALC292.kext/     AppleHPET.kext/           AppleHV.kext/
AppleHIDALSService.kext/  AppleHPM.kext/            AppleHWSensor.kext/
AppleHIDKeyboard.kext/    AppleHSSPIHIDDriver.kext/ 
sh-3.2# ls -R AppleHDA_ALC292.kext/
Contents

AppleHDA_ALC292.kext//Contents:
Info.plist	MacOS		Resources

AppleHDA_ALC292.kext//Contents/MacOS:
AppleHDA

AppleHDA_ALC292.kext//Contents/Resources:
Platforms.xml.zlib	layout1.xml.zlib
sh-3.2# sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
sh-3.2# sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
^[[Ash-3sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
sh-3.2# sudo kextcache -Boot -U / 
rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa092148c50 [0x7fffa5e19980]> { URL = "FakePCIID.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.driver.FakePCIID" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa092151c40 [0x7fffa5e19980]> { URL = "FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.FakePCIID-Intel-HDMI-Audio" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa09214d600 [0x7fffa5e19980]> { URL = "FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.FakePCIID-Intel-HD-Graphics" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa092149480 [0x7fffa5e19980]> { URL = "FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.FakePCIID-Broadcom-WiFi" }
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa08fd32150 [0x7fffa5e19980]> { URL = "CodecCommander.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.tw.CodecCommander" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa08fcdd1b0 [0x7fffa5e19980]> { URL = "CodecCommander.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.tw.CodecCommander" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa08ddc6840 [0x7fffa5e19980]> { URL = "AppleBacklightInjector.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.AppleBacklightInjector" }
KernelCache ID: 54799FFBB4D41C9954DC220DB617AC31
kextcache updated critical boot files, requesting launchd reboot

• Moderators

Looks like you're duplicating the kexts in /S/L/E and /L/E, not a good idea.

Go ahead and remove them from /S/L/E and just keep them in /L/E :

• AppleHDA_ALC292.kext
  • CodecCommander
  • AppleBacklightInjector
  • FakePCIID_Broadcom_Wifi
  • FakePCIID_HDMI_Audio
  • FakePCIID_HD_Graphics
  • FakePCIID

Rerun the commands again

@Jake, no luck. I corrected permissions, rebuilt caches but still cannot get AppleHDA_ALC292.kext to load.

So I did a reinstall of 10.13.2. Then used Kext Wizard  to load the E6540 kexts, still with no success forAppleHDA_ALC292.kext. 

So I try to load this kext with Kext Wizard (noting it loads CodecCommander OK) to which it fails with error:

AppleHDA_ALC292.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

So I try as it suggests to use kextutil:

sh-3.2# kextutil AppleHDA_ALC292.kext
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fecc254a750 [0x7fff9816c980]> { URL = "file:///System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_ALC292.kext/", ID = "com.apple.driver.AppleHDA" }
Code Signing Failure: not code signed
Validation Failures: 
    Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code (no kmod_info symbol or bad Mach-O layout).

Warnings: 
    Personality CFBundleIdentifier differs from containing kext's (not necessarily a mistake, but rarely done): 
        HDA Hardware Config Resource

Warnings: 
    Personality CFBundleIdentifier differs from containing kext's (not necessarily a mistake, but rarely done): 
        HDA Hardware Config Resource

Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA_ALC292.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

With not much Google hits to help me along. Any idea what the problem here is?

@Jake, no luck at all. I've only ever been able to get macOS sound to the internal speak to work on this system previously under Sierra using the VoodooHDA driver.  Have avoided it for High Sierra if possible.

I'd like to get sound to work with AppleHDA_ALC292.kext . Here's the exact steps done following your most recent instructions spanning across several posts in this and other threads:

1. Create the most up-to-date EFI USB stick containing:

- Download generic EFi Folder from here

- Your most recent supplied Dell E6540 bootpack from here

- Bronxteck-compiled R6 from here to gain smooth touchpad control

- recommended AppleHDA_ALC292.kext from here

Resultant USB stick files including a F4 dump of my ACPI tables from A.22 BIOS E6540 with HD8790M is at:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vey91c9kx5snsvr/Dell_E6540_HD8790M_A22_macOS10_13_2-bootfiles.zip

2.  Do a clean macOS 10.13.2 installation

3. Use Kext Wizard to install the \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other\LE kexts

4. Results are the same as my previous post, summarized as

AppleHDA_ALC292.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

5. Try to get AppleHDA_ALC292.kext to load by manually fixed permissions & rebuild caches.  I've only been able to get AppleHDA_ALC292.kext to appear in the cache rebuilding output if I I type 'kextcache -i /'. It never appears if I run the suggested 'kextcache -Boot -U /'

Is there some glaring blind spot I have here or could it be that AppleHDA_ALC292.kext is not compatible with macOS 10.13.2? I noticed user OSXnoob with the same system here most recently noted sound doesn't work after updating from Sierra to High Sierra.

Has any other HD8790M E6540 owner got sound to work under 10.13.2?

Hi Jake,

I Followed Jonny's guide and for the first time successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.3 on my Latitude E6540 , the only thing that isn't working correctly is Sleep , the computer will go to Sleep however it won't wake from sleep?

Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks again for all of your help?