[help] dell inspiron 15 7547

gabdag

Hello world!

Sorry to bother you guys but I am totally confused as what to do in post, I extract my DSDT and when I open it in maciasl I cannot get it to compile without errors right away even with no patches and the errors dont seem to be common because when I google and youtube them I cant find any info on how to correct them like unknownobj ..

I am also totally confused in what guide to use, what version of iasl do i use to decompile, the one with no number or 5 or 5.1 or 6 or 6.1, do i use refs.txt and so on..

Please help, Ireally want to do this, Its been my goal since 2015.. (mistake, shouldve just bought a used mbp) Im only a humanitarian but an avid pc user since 1998

as for now, Im running mavericks with voodoohda and so far I have sound and internet through a usb dongle but of course nothing else. Low brightness, no battery (just the x-ed out indicator) no brightness control no closing the lid no going to sleep. I ave been poking at it for the whole month now and recently got finally brave enough tto attack the patching.

I have tried installing el cap. and yosemite but reverted back to mavericks because voodoohda works, just so the laptop its a bit usable for now. I would like to install el cap. or yosemite later though because touchscreen works, otherwise mav. is good enough  for me.

Basically, I just need it to run protools on os x for me and thats why i bought the damn laptop in the first place!

Its an I7, 4510U haswell alc 255, no discrete gpu, touchscreen

• Moderators

What version of BIOS are you on?

Attach your Clover folder with the Origin folder untouched. I'll patch the files for you.

Include information like HDMI, DisplayPort, yes or no if you want those things fix.

Post screenshots of DPCIManager of Status and PCIList

Post IOReg as well. Compress all and attach it here. See FAQ in my signature file if you're uncertain how to do that.

• Moderators

I think you could just download the BIOS update onto an USB. Boot to F12, look for an option to Flash BIOS update, browse for the executable and continue update.

If not, then try creating a bootable Dos drive with the executable and run it from there.

• Administrators

hmm looks like alot of people are having that issue with dells bios you can try https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/solved-recover-dell-inspiron-laptop-corrupted-bios-how-roland-ihasz follow his instructions but rename what he posts with the name of your bios file.

also make sure you download the correct bios for your machine because the ROM size might be different. maybe that explains the error of it running out of memory.

• Administrators

This method dates a little and used to be applicable to old Dell laptops of the 2005-2008/2009 era (eg: Latitude Dx20/Dx30 Series, Precision Mx300, Inspiron 6xxxx, etc.). It's not applicable to more recent Dell laptops, for instance E6x20/E6x30/E6x40 models.

In addition, the method, as detailed in this LinkedIn page, is somehow erroneous:

1) no need to remove the CMOS battery

2) on plugging the power cable, the [END] key must only be pressed a couple of seconds max when the power led lits in orange; if the key is pressed more than that, no attempt will be made to load BIOS off the plugged-in USB media

This method was described several times on the forum several years ago. Ex: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7691-problems-with-dell-d630-no-qe-ci-bios-a09/&do=findComment&comment=47171

MyDigitalLife forum has a dedicated thread on BIOS recovery for all sorts of computers; OP should have a look there:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/bios-recovery-procedures.870/

You could give the following Dell method a go, but it probably won't work as they say it's only applicable to systems from 2015/Skylake chipsets...

https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr/fr/frdhs1/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en#faqs

Another apparent method:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/bad-bios-update-recovery/

Good luck!

Thanks guys but no post, tried the cmos right away-no luck, will try the link later. I can see it sort of read the usb stick and it beeps with memory removed. It seems I still have a chance. 

It was i gues 70-80% into flashing when dos ran out of memory. Basically I've just learned not to use freedos, I bet ms dos just assigns more memory (or not?)

If the link won't help I think I'll just have to reflow the bios chip if it's findable and sell the bugger along with this stupid 13 inch late 2011 mbp freak I bought while in india ((it's a zombie on the inside) had no idea there is a dual core i7). And that's my life.

(sorry, I just had to rant a bit)