The volume Mac os Sierra could not be verified completely

paulcrr

I had High Sierra installed on my 7450, but I screwed my installation attempting to upgrade to 10.3.2.

I tried to reinstall but had a lot of problems with the usb key, so I installed Sierra instead, it's a lot easier.

Now I'm experimenting a new problem. I can work with Sierra installed all day long and all it's fine, but when I reboot I have this error in verbose mode:

'The volume Mac os Sierra could not be verified completely'

And the boot fails.

I have to repair the disk in single user mode with this command, that I found on another forum:

fsck_hfs -Rc -d /dev/disk0s2

It works, but after a while the problem is again present.

I think it's related with the previous installation of windows 10 on the ssd. I had a lot of problems tryng to remove windows partitions (4) with disk utility. I had to erase the disk with diskutil eraseDisk from terminal, but I suspect that something is wrong on file system. Or is my  SSD near to the end?

There is a way to clean the SSD in an effective way and get finally rid of this annoying issue?

• Moderators

There's probably a lot of other good apps out there that you could use, but personally I use PartedMagic. In it, there's an application call Secure Erase, that's what I use to wipe my SSD drive completely.

I had used DiskWarrior.app, that had saved my system a few times when you encounter this error.

Both are paid apps but you can find free apps with google if you look hard enough.

• Administrators

funny I just worked on a MacBook Pro last week with the same issue. had to fsck -y -rc -d /dev/rdisk0s2 and usb installers where even having issues booting. it wound up having 1 defective memory stick and the hdd was on its death bed. I think the defective ram is what might have damaged the hdd. I replaced the ram then I installed a fresh os to a new ssd and then used migration assistant to transfer there data back to the latest os. they originally had el cap on that drive.