Dell Latitude E6520 nVidia - High Sierra Install Issues

film9634

I’ve got two drives in my laptop, replaced the disk drive with my HDD and got an SSD in the primary spot.

I’m going to dedicate a drive to the Hackintosh and not dual boot.

I got UEFI boot working, every time trying to add a boot option BIOS would hang, I kept restarting and trying again, on the 7th attempt I was able to browse the EFI folder and select efi/boot/bootx64.efi and boot into clover.

Result, same issue of OSInstall.mpkg missing.

I’ll remove the variable now and test (I removed it on a previous attempt though was still using Legacy boot)

As well as update the apfs.efi file

No reason that it shouldn't be kept I just haven't seen any results with it and Jake Lo reported he successfully hackintoshed an E6520 using UEFI.

I've attached my current EFI folder, I've only now noticed that in drivers64 & drivers64UEFI I've had the file 'apfs-64.efi' though no 'apps.efi' and not sure if that could've been the issue as Bronxteck has mentioned.

Current EFI folder following the guide here:

Generic EFI - from guide

+ Bootpack 

+ Removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI (used clover configurator to disable it)

+ added apfs.efi - from https://github.com/darkhandz/XPS15-9550-Sierra/blob/master/CLOVER-Install/drivers64UEFI/apfs.efi

EFI.zip

Unfortunately the above EFI config still hasn’t worked

Logs attached from startup disk & image of the files on the disk, named 'hackOS':

Mar 29 23:24:59 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[545]: Installer Info install requested but we're not dmg booted
Mar 29 23:24:59 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[545]: mountDiskImageWithURLString: /Volumes/hackOS/macOS Install Data/InstallESDDmg.pkg
Mar 29 23:24:59 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[545]: Couldn't mount disk image! (error code 2)
Mar 29 23:24:59 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[545]: Couldn't mount the payload dmg (/Volumes/hackOS/macOS Install Data/InstallESDDmg.pkg): Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=2 "kCFHostErrorUnknown / kCFStreamErrorSOCKS4SubDomainResponse / kCFStreamErrorSOCKS5BadState / kCFStreamErrorDomainMacOSStatus / siInitVBLQsErr / dsAddressErr / scCommErr / ENOENT: Query the kCFGetAddrInfoFailureKey to get the value returned from getaddrinfo; lookup in netdb.h / Error code is the status code returned by the server /  / OSStatus type from Carbon APIs; interpret using <MacTypes.h>  / VBLqueues for all slots could not be initialized. / address error / communications error, operation timeout  / No such file or directory"
Mar 29 23:24:59 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[545]: Failed to open installer document

For this recent attempt I generated the installer flash drive fresh, from the very first step of the guide for UEFI boot.

Should the file 'InstallESDDmg.pkg' be in the EFI / drivers64 folders?

Installer Log 29-Mar-2018.txt

post-118305-0-35471100-1522360055_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

should be /EFI/Clover/Cloverx64.efi, not  /efi/boot/bootx64.efi when adding UEFI Boot option

Should the file 'InstallESDDmg.pkg' be in the EFI / drivers64 folders?

No, too big, won't fit. 

If you have more than 1 drive in the system, remove it until you finish the installation, then put it back in.

Looks like the path defaults to the one you mentioned above.

I only ever have the installer flash and blank mac formatted drive connected when installing.

Another thread mentioned in addition to removing the emuvariable, one should make sure to check the smbios version is a device that’s supported for High Sierra, so I set it to a mac mini 5,2 since it has the same processor as my laptop I.e. i7-2620M though it still didn’t work :(

@Jake, if you have access to an E6520 would it be possible for you to test the EFI folder I attached in one of my posts?

To rule out the EFI config and determine if it’s something with my laptop/drive etc

Or what would you suggest is a more viable macOS version to attempt a hackintosh?

• Moderators

Yup, the EFI folder works just fine, only difference is I install using HFS+, not APFS but running installation from terminal.

When creating the Installer from terminal using createinstallmedia, do you verify the successful output?

Sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/HS --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction
Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.