Did I just waste my money?

art_4

I am not a apple guy, but I find the need for one for one project. I figured the least expensive way was a hackintosh, as I already have access to a d630. So I used my PC to go to the apple store and buy Lion. This was my mistake (I think) because Apple will not show me the download version unless I was using a mac, (and one not running Lion already). So I got my Apple branded USB stick of lion, and I want to make a Haxor-lion from it... well, I see not instructions for that on this site. I did find unifail, and that worked... mostly. I can boot to the Haxor-lion stick, but once the boot gets to the apple logo with the spinning circle under it, is freezes. So I thought that maybe my new Haxor-lion did not work, so I tested it on a e6520. I can get all the way through the install on the e6520! I know that unifail belongs to a different web site, but you guys are the osx-latitude experts.... any help?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, freeze ups are common on the D630 without having a DSDT or one that is updated for Lion. go to this page http://www.osxlatitude.com/vanilla-dsdt-collection/ and select the correct DSDT for your system, then put it in /Extra of your USB installer and things should go more smoothly for you.

Once installed you will need to install EDP to make sure your system is configured correctly.

Also you can download Lion on a system that has it installed already. In app store, go to Purchased apps. While holding the Option key click on Lion, instead of installed it should have an Install Option, let it go through the motions of downloading and then just cancel the setup and the file should be located in your Applications folder

No, freeze ups are common on the D630 without having a DSDT or one that is updated for Lion. go to this page http://www.osxlatitude.com/vanilla-dsdt-collection/ and select the correct DSDT for your system, then put it in /Extra of your USB installer and things should go more smoothly for you.

Once installed you will need to install EDP to make sure your system is configured correctly.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do my best to do as you suggest. The stick I made with unifail does not have an /Extra folder, so should I make it, is it hidden? I have EDP ready to go once Lion is installed.

Also you can download Lion on a system that has it installed already. In app store, go to Purchased apps. While holding the Option key click on Lion, instead of installed it should have an Install Option, let it go through the motions of downloading and then just cancel the setup and the file should be located in your Applications folder

My freind has a macbook air with Lion. When he looks in "purchased", Lion does not show up, I would guess because he did not buy it through the app store but on the laptop.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do my best to do as you suggest. The stick I made with unifail does not have an /Extra folder, so should I make it, is it hidden? I have EDP ready to go once Lion is installed.

My freind has a macbook air with Lion. When he looks in "purchased", Lion does not show up, I would guess because he did not buy it through the app store but on the laptop.

It's Probably hidden.

If he bought it through an Apple ID then yes it would show up. but if it came with the macbook then no it probably wont show up.

I have used your bios to brand the laptop.

I turned off the the performance CPU options in the bios.

I found the /Extra folder (it was hidden), and put your dsdt file in it.

Status: Intermitant boot. If I keep trying over and over, I can get the install to start, but it locks up durring the install. Before I said I had to use one USB port becuase I got it to work maybe 6 times, but not when plugged in anyplace else... but I have now had several failures to boot from every port... so...

This is a d630 with the intel graphics.

**Update** It seems that maybe removing the Intel Wifi card (that I think wasn't going to work anyway), seems to have gotten me to the point of being able to boot into the installer, but I am still locking up during install.

boot with cpus=1 incase your missing voodootscsync.kext

If this did anything, it made the lockup happen faster. I also tried it with the -v after the cpus=1. it listed several drivers that could not load: library not found; failed to resolve dependencies.

kext com.apple.driver.appleintelgmax3100

com.apple.driver.applehdacontroller

com.apple.driver.audioauuc

also:

couldnt alloc class "Intel965"

couldnt alloc class "AppleHDAController"

also:

BSD root: disk1s1, major 14, minor 4

kernel is LP64

What info can I get you to be helpful?

If this did anything, it made the lockup happen faster. I also tried it with the -v after the cpus=1. it listed several drivers that could not load: library not found; failed to resolve dependencies.

kext com.apple.driver.appleintelgmax3100

com.apple.driver.applehdacontroller

com.apple.driver.audioauuc

also:

couldnt alloc class "Intel965"

couldnt alloc class "AppleHDAController"

also:

BSD root: disk1s1, major 14, minor 4

kernel is LP64

What info can I get you to be helpful?

I may be wrong on this but I believe on the Intel GPU models you have to use arch=i386, as the graphics drivers are 32bit only for that kext. I see the kernel is in 64bit mode so it could be the solution to all your problems