RAM problem - one slot appears dead

pilgrim

I've got a D620 Core2Duo 1.83 with nVidia 64MB graphics and Snow Leopard 10.6.8, which has been running fine. I had 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM installed and I'm trying to upgrade to 4GB. I swapped both sticks with identical 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz Corsair brand sticks. But now RAM in the top slot is not recognized - slot A under the keyboard. I've tried a couple of different sticks and none of them are recognized in the A slot. System Profile shows it as Empty.

Has anyone else seen this? I don't think anyone could've broken, the swap is pretty straight forward. Are the RAM slots especially fragile?

It doesn't seem to be a question of compatibility as the new 2GB sticks are identical, and I've tried 4 different ones just to be sure it's not the RAM.

Any ideas greatly appreciated thanks.

I've got a D620 Core2Duo 1.83 with nVidia 64MB graphics and Snow Leopard 10.6.8, which has been running fine. I had 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM installed and I'm trying to upgrade to 4GB. I swapped both sticks with identical 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz Corsair brand sticks. But now RAM in the top slot is not recognized - slot A under the keyboard. I've tried a couple of different sticks and none of them are recognized in the A slot. System Profile shows it as Empty.

Has anyone else seen this? I don't think anyone could've broken, the swap is pretty straight forward. Are the RAM slots especially fragile?

It doesn't seem to be a question of compatibility as the new 2GB sticks are identical, and I've tried 4 different ones just to be sure it's not the RAM.

Any ideas greatly appreciated thanks.

If you use your old 2 x 1GB's, would the laptop see 2GB? If so, then try 1GB under keyboard, and 2GB in the other, and see if it sees 3GB. There could be a problem with slot A.

• Administrators

you have to install 1 at a time start with re seating the keyboard one and let it detect then add the second one underneath the machine; and let it detect. also make sure your bios is updated. on my machine it also put up a fit when adding 2 2gig modules

Is your problem resolved ?

Hi. Yes, I've finally resolved the problem. The metal clips that hold the RAM bank into its slot had become a bit too loose and by re-bending them back toward the middle they now hold the RAM bank more tightly. All 4GB now shows up and works great.

Thanks.