[SOLVED] E6420 HD3000 High Sierra video hesitations, and system freezes.

veedub89

After upgrading from Yosemite to High Sierra on my daughters i5 6420 with HD3000 and 1600x900 display, when I minimize or maximize an app from the dock, the system wants to either severely hesitate, or frequently freeze up the system requiring a reboot.  I followed Jake's guide exactly, and the install went fine.  I used the E6420_HD300_A23 bootpack.  Reading through other posts, it seemed as though the SSDT might have been the issue.  But, I've tried generating new SSDTs from both the script that came in the bootpack, and Piker's script from Github.  Neither seem to be having an effect on the problem.  I've tried from both a fresh install, and upgrade from Sierra, with APFS, and without.  Was also having the issue even in Sierra.  Any help would be appreciated.  I've attached the problem reporting files.

debug_19826.zip

• Administrators

In your Clover config:

1. APCI section/tab: there's a reference to load a SSDT-6 table that's nowhere to be found
  2. SMBIOS section/tab: you use MacBookPro8,2, I think you should use MacBookPro8,1 (you have a dual-core i5-2520M, not a quad-core 2nd gen i7)

Your DSDT injects SNB layout id 00010000 and Dual Link, so you should be Ok once you correct the above. If you still have issues with graphics, you could try to switch to MacBookPro8,3 SMBIOS and SNB layout id 00020000.

I have my usb, and bluetooth back.  But I am still getting hesitations and freezes.  Just moving a window near the menubar will cause it, or minimizing, and then maximizing from the dock. 

Not sure how to edit the DSDT to change the SNB layout id values.  I tried in MacIASL, but get errors in recompiling it that wont allow me to save the edit.  The errors even happen when I open and recompile it without even making any edits.  Is there another way of changing the value?

Still doesn't fix the issue.  I've uploaded a video to my Gdrive account to show what is happening.  It's only about 40 seconds long.  You'll see it hesitate, and the next time I try to move the browser window, it locks up.  And I've also attached the most recent system reporting files.  Just made it before the crash.

debug_20159.zip

Long story short.  An old problem followed me around.  Had similar but slightly different issue before on my i7 6420 where it just garbled the screen really bad, and I got a new LCD panel to fix it at that time.  That panel happened to find a new home in this i5 model when I gave it to my daughter with windows 7 on it.  It worked with windows on it and I forgot that I switched them around.  Replaced the panel, and the problem is solved.  Go figure?