[SOLVED] No support for 2nd Drive Bay in E6330 in High Sierra?

BladeScraper

Hi all, new to the forum but I've been doing Hacks for a little bit.  This is my first hack laptop, a Dell Latitude E6330.  Core i5 3320M, HD4000, BCM95352HMB (WiFi, BT, AirDrop work beautifully). 

I have had it running for a while on Sierra.  I use the second drive bay as my Time Machine drive.  It's a 1TB WD Blue hard drive.  I've got several backups on it and it works fine in Sierra.

In comes High Sierra.  I've previously tried installing High Sierra but ran into the same issue  back then so I went back to Sierra:

It seems High Sierra cannot see or read the drive bay at all.  It's the optional drive bay that converts the DVD drive into a secondary hard drive bay.  That's where the Time Machine drive is.  High Sierra refuses to read from that drive.  In Verbose on boot I see "Disk 0s1: I/O Error." and in macOS, I can see the drive in Disk Utility but it has no name and is greyed out and I cannot mount it.  Once again, this setup works perfectly with Sierra and Sierra has zero issues with the 2nd drive.  Only High Sierra seems to care.

Also, if I stick the known working boot drive into the second drive bay, it boots a little then hangs, and eventually I get the dreaded "Still waiting for root device" with prohibited symbol.  It seems like High Sierra just cannot read from the second drive bay.

Anyone know what could be the cause, and a possible fix?  I'm stumped.

Nevermind, I goofed and installed that kext into my Sierra drive not my High sierra one... lol

Anyway, I tried putting it into my High Sierra L/E but it says "kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions" when I try to rebuild cache.  Then it says "....does not authenticate, omitting."