E7440 from Mavericks to High Sierra

cazy

OK Thanks that worked ! my gratitude to DrHurt and Bronxtech, at 2nd reboot the installation crashed again this time CodecCommander was the culprit I removed it for now. I'm in Sierra now almost everything work I need to do some housekeeping.

Lets talk about WIFI I'm confused, I have an AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 same as BCM4352 or DW1550, some reports suggest is not supported beyond Sierra but this guy got it working in HS https://osxlatitude.com/topic/9414-azurewave-broadcom-bcm94352hmbbcm94352-wlanbt40-macos-sierra-10121/  Is it possible since I read IO80211Family is not longer available in HS?

Did Apple eliminated the ripple effect in Sierra dashboard? It was my way to check for graphics acceleration.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/27/2018 at 8:33 PM, Bronxteck said:

i use lilu and brcmfixup for my DW1550

Thanks but already used Rehabman FakePCIID and kext to patch and is working great now.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, Hervé said:

Ripple effect was last seen in Snow Leopard. You can check graphics acceleration through Finder's bar + Dock transparency and DVDPlayer Features to name a few.

I had it in Mavericks and also was working in Yosemite when I briefly installed to step into Sierra.

Well, It's force of habit to check if  QE and CI are working in a new installation.

Edit: Still works!! I found it go to Mission Control and select Overlay  in Dashboard option and voila ripple effect is back.

Hervé, Jake and Bronx I can't thank you enough, I'd thought I got it good for 4 years running Mavericks but this is a new laptop 😀.

CPU is barely breaking a sweat and I'm using the same SSDT, I was so sure my fan broke but no, anyway I'll check C and P states later and generate a new one to compare.

If you're reading this thread and in the same situation don't hesitate just for security alone its worth it and don't worry these guys got your back.

Thanks

Couple of things CodecCommander from Jake's  bootpack is fine it crashed on me because I have Wifiinject installed in Clover.

I was disappointed that Apple removed battery time remaining, the only way to see this is in Activity Monitor App Energy tab, but wait if you click it'll crash, you need to update to a newer version  ACPIBatteryManager.kext 1.71 or better. Now it's a way to restore time remaining by using Battery.menu from Sierra 10.12.1 just backup yours from /system/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and paste this in place Battery.menu.zip

I achieved High Sierra, it was a long road: Mavericks --> Yosemite --> Sierra --> High Sierra. In Sierra I was able to download the full HS installer from Appstore.

In spite of Jake's and Hervé warning about APFS I forgot to applied the hack and end up with the converted file system. Lucky I'd made a clone of Sierra and I was able to install HS and skipping the conversion.

At first I couldn't find a way to edit Minstallconfig.xml in terminal after reboot, anyway just by luck instead of continuing installing I rebooted to Sierra and I found MacOs Install Data in my drive, they were there 2 files I checked  Minstallconfig.xml and OSInstallAttr.plist

I used PlistEditPro to edit files but you could use Textedit or vi.

Files are locked, you need to copy them somewhere, edit and returned them to folder.

Procedure is build USB with createinstallmedia,  boot with USB, at 1st restart boot with USB again and select your OS do not continue installation, after login and look in your drive for MacOs Install Data open folder and edit both files named above, replace boolean YES with NO in PlistEditPro or replace "true" with "false" in another type of editor.

Restart, boot with USB again this time select to continue MacOS installation. Next reboot do it from your drive and finish installation.

For me building USB with "OSX Base System" or installing from Desktop applying terminal commands end up with "macOS could not be installed in your computer"

One observation, there are 2 versions around of VoodooPS2controller.kext both versions worked and won't panic in Sierra or HS but to me Bronxteck compiled version is more stable than R6 version.

Thanks again guys.

4 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

I had no issue just running this command at the terminal

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --converttoapfs NO

I know I shouldn't have any but this is what I got:

1901315552_IMG_45952.thumb.JPG.e3e4120fdf84a1f4efc32bf96da36344.JPG