E6500 NVS160M lost second drive bay after upgrading to high sierra

veedub89

After upgrading from El Capitan to a fresh install of High Sierra on my E6500 with nVidia NVM160M, bios A27, I no longer can properly see my second hard drive in the media bay.  During boot it also says that there is a problem reading that drive("disk1 read error").  I have scoured the forums for previous similar problems, and one said to add IOAHCISerialATAPI_Injector.kext to L/E.  I have tried that and still do not have proper access to that drive.  After booting it tells me that I need to reinitialize the drive.  I have tried formatting, and it continually says that it has a problem writing to the last sector of the drive.  I put in the original El Capitan boot drive, and the secondary drive is seen and operates just fine there.  I have even put that drive in a usb enclosure, and it can then be read, so I know it's not a hard drive problem.  I have even tried a different drive in the media bay, and it still has the issue.  Otherwise everything is working fine with the upgrade.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have attached the problem reporting files.

debug_17149.zip

That worked perfectly.  I'm attaching a bootpack that should fit well with your clover guide for the latitude series if you're interested.  Stripped it down to just the ACPI, and Kext directories with the config plist, as it was hard to find a working bootpack when I was looking at installing this, so I hope it helps someone.

E6500_NVS160M_A27-HS.zip

It never fully goes to sleep.  Screen goes black, hard drive indicator comes on like its trying to sleep, cause the bluetooth light goes out too.  But then it immediately comes back on.  It never gets to the point where the power light blinks like it does on my 6420.  It was never an issue before for me, cause it has never been able to get full sleep both in El Capitan and Yosemite.  I rarely use sleep with the speed of boot up and shutdown nowadays.  But Audio, Wireless, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Display port, trackpad, webcam, and Battery status work just fine.  Only things that I just now noticed is that the trackpad pref pane doesn't show anything, and looking through the system report, TRIM is not active for my SSD.  Isn't that activated with a patch in Clover?

• Moderators

- run this to determine the sleep issue

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

- Does DisplayPort have external audio working? 

I see you have VoodooHDA, what is the audio codec?

- Do you have brightness slider working?

- Trackpad? Does it have Alps or Synaptics?

Kexts you have is a generic mouse kext, no scrolling ...etc

- Trim is not enabled because you don't have patch in Clover Config

Follow instructions from here to debug issue
gen_debug -sysprofile

I get this message after running your log command and then trying to put it to sleep.

2018-04-29 16:34:51.705081-0400  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PBTN LID EH02 (User)

Display port does have audio on it.  At first I didn't think it did, until I went to try to adjust the volume on the laptop to see if TV volume was just too low for me to hear.  When I clicked the speaker icon, the drop down gave me three choices for outputs.  Had to check the "SPDIF-out (Black Rear)" option, and it worked.  Not sure where to go for audio codec?

Not sure what you mean by brightness slider.  Does the Fn(Up/Down) brightness adjustment work? Yes.

Trackpad is an Alps.  I tried a VoodoPS2Controller kext, but it had really bad sensitivity settings, and the pref pane under that one showed that it was waiting for a bluetooth trackpad so there was no way of adjusting the sensitivity.  The one I'm currently using, performance wise, is actually just fine, except for it's missing the prefpane.  Not a deal breaker, or a big deal for me as the trackpad on these are too small, and I usually use a mouse anyways.

Trim is now enabled.  easy enough.

I had included the debug files on the original post.  Only things that have changed are the new AHCI port kext, and adding trim through the config plist.  But here's an updated one since then.

debug_4764.zip

• Moderators

give this DSDT a try

post new output if sleep still not working

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

DP audio should be coming out of/controlled by the external monitor / TV. But if VoodooHDA works, then no need to fix it.

DSDT.aml

Same things happening after trying to put to sleep.  Still getting same error.  It repeats a number of times without me even touching the computer.

2018-04-29 16:35:41.833196-0400  localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: PBTN LID EH02 (User)