Dell Latitude 5480 - Sierra Install - Almost there (detailed)

tahleelp

Hello all,

I started my OSX install last night and could use some help/guidance. Please bear with me, I'm new to OSX and could use some answers to the "why" we're doing some of the things we are. I'm also including extra info to help others to see how I overcame an issue in case it helps someone else.

I decided to use Sierra, instead of High Sierra as it seems to be more stable and all the kinks have been worked out. However, this was based on posts from last year and  many of that may have been ironed out. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My main purpose is to learn Swift via Xcode.

My hardware: Dell Latitude 5480, i5-7440HQ (Kaby Lake), Intel HD630, 16GB DDR4 and 500GB Samsung SSD.

Other OSes: Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. No compatible WiFi card yet. 

I followed the following guide to get to where I am now. Thank you Jake Lo!

My first attempt, I did not install any of the KEXT files and I wasn't able to get past the start up. Black screen with Apple logo, no status load bar. After a few seconds, it would then have a circle with a strike throughout. What is this and why does this occur? I'm sorry for my ignorance, I'm not an OSX user at all.

I re-read the instructions and replaced, not merged, the EFI folder with the one created with Clover. I then installed the patch(?) file provided in the below post specifically for Kaby Lake and HD620 (though I have a HD630).

I found in a thread and noticed the files they we're suggesting to use had the same modification date as the one produced by Clover. Is that correct? I opened the config file in Coda and copied and pasted the FakeID- FakeCPUID, FakeID- IntelGfX as well as IntelGfx code for the "Skylake Glitch Fix" as suggested in the link. Should I have included the latter even though I have Kaby Lake and not Sky Lake?

Once done, I saw the Apple load screen again. However, it changed from black background/white Apple logo to grab background/black Apple logo. Why did it change? Once it loads and the status bar disappears, I noticed it now takes a little longer to get to the select Language screen, compared to the black background/white Apple logo which was near instant. Somewhere along the lines, I switched to Safe Mode via hitting space bar in Clover and selecting the item. Could that be the reason?

I proceeded with the install and realized I didn't make a partition and couldn't make one through Disk Utility. Doh! I logged in through Windows, created another volume and Simple Partition (exFAT) from my existing Windows partition. I reloaded all the install stuff, selected the drive, erased and formatted to OSX Extended (Journaled). I then got an indicating I could not continue with the installation due to an "Undefined error." Turns out I didn't copy the two files in step 1.19 (BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist). 

I copied them over and viola, was able to successfully complete the install after 12 agonizing minutes of watching the status bar to see if it would finish.

I pulled the drive and restarted my computer, and was excited to see the OSX install in my boot manager, however, it was not there (just my normal Windows and Ubuntu options). 

With that being said, can someone point out the wrong steps I took along the way? I'm sure there were many missteps as well as incorrect assumptions. Also, I've successfully installed it to the partition, but why can't I see OSX in my boot options?

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post!

• Moderators

Welcome to OSXL!

In order to support Kabylake natively, you'll need to install at minimum 10.12.6 otherwise you'll need FakeCPUID / Fake GFX as Skylake as you might be doing. I don't know until you could attach the Clover folder here for review.

For OSX to load, you'll need to install Clover to the installed drive and copy the Clover folder to the EFI partition, perhaps you missed the Post Install steps?

Boot with the USB installer, you be able to see the OS X partition. Select that to boot....continue with the post install.

Thanks for the warm welcome Jake! Also, thank you again for all that you've done for this community!

I'll post the Clover folder this evening.

In the mean time, do you think Sierra was the right choice, as opposed to High Sierra? I believe I can't use El Capitan due to Kaby Lake. Are there any glitches in High Sierra that I should be concerned with my hardware? Even though I don't have a compatible WiFi card, can I still use the onboard Ethernet jack and USB tether from my cell phone?

I'll double check the Post Install step. I could've carelessly missed a step. 

Do you know the difference between the grab background/black Apple logo and black background/white Apple logo screens?

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

Welcome to OSXL!

In order to support Kabylake natively, you'll need to install at minimum 10.12.6 otherwise you'll need FakeCPUID / Fake GFX as Skylake as you might be doing. I don't know until you could attach the Clover folder here for review.

For OSX to load, you'll need to install Clover to the installed drive and copy the Clover folder to the EFI partition, perhaps you missed the Post Install steps?

Boot with the USB installer, you be able to see the OS X partition. Select that to boot....continue with the post install.

• Moderators

As long as you are running 10.12.6, it's fine, but I think you'll get better result with latest 10.13.4.

There's a new file system APFS that might still be a bit glitchy, but you could still run it on HFS+

Yes, onboard ethernet or USB tether will be fine.

Only issue with this model is the lack of full touchpad support...there's development so stay tuned.

Not sure what you mean by "the grab background/black Apple logo and black background/white Apple logo screens"

Maybe post a screenshot here so there won't be any guessing.

Cheers

Just wanted to report back. I went back and reinstalled everything from the guide and it worked! I even had touchpad working out of the box. However, it started getting worse.

I've discovered that Ubuntu nor Windows are options for me in Clover. What happened to them? I definitely have the partitions (they haven't been deleter), however I can't boot to them. Do you know why? How can I fix it? 

In the efforts to try to update the config.plst file, I lost the touchpad first and then the keyboard. At this point, my main objective is to restore access to my Ubuntu and Windows partitions. How do I do that?

Thanks!

I hit F3 in the Clover Boot menu and the only that happened was that the screen blinked (like it was refreshing, but nothing changed). Any other ideas to access my Linux and Ubuntu partitions? Both partitions are on the same SSD as the Sierra install.

Thanks!

• Administrators

do you have a Microsoft folder in your EFI? if not you might have to copy it back from the old drive.... well if there is an old drive. I am guessing linux might also have made a folder in EFI.

No, I don't have a Microsoft folder in my EFI. I have three partions: OS, Macintosh SSD and ---. OS has both the Windows and Linux files mixed. Macintosh SSD is the OSX files. --- says it's a 17GB Linux partition that's 100% full. It's odd that the Linux files would be in the OS partition while still having it's own partition that's full (which in reality, it's not). I'm thinking it's what's reserved for Linux and not used? My primary focus is to gain access back to my Windows and Linux partions.

What's odd is that in my initial install of OSX, the Touchpad worked out of the box, although it didn't register in the Touchpad app in Settings. Down the road, it stopped working and I used a wireless USB mouse to get it out work.

I also received a Dell DW1840 and it surprisingly worked OOB! It has three antennas (gray, white and black triangle symbols), I connected the white antenna wire to black triangle and the black cable to the white triangle as I read online and it worked. However, I want to make sure it's the right way. Also, do you think the WiFi card is not working at it's greatest potential because it only uses two of the three antennas?

Snapchat-566885915.jpg