D630 with 1440x900 display Problems

TimST185

......... And an update on the 620 install this evening ........

10.6.3 via USB stick (I bought 3 new 8GB sticks today so I could do more testing without wrecking previous installs...)

Combo update to 10.6.8 - DO NOT RESTART.

EDP 1.9.2 (Had a few errors mind - Voodoo Pref pane error was first) and then chameleon wouldnt install on the first try and came back with an error but on the second try (without re-booting) worked and installed ok.

Re-booted and had even better sound than my 10.6.3 on my trusty 630 !!!

Everything "seems to work" - Magic mouse is working, FrontRow is spot on, wireless connected 1st time and USB mouse works as well.......

I have no LID or LCD on this 620 and it's just connected to a monitor running 1650x1080....... but I put it to sleep from the apple menu and it wakes up just fine :-) (Very fast too and way quicker than my 630 currently does)

Getting a bit more used to this EDP thing now.......

OSX Latitude ROCKS :) :) :)

BIG HUGE thanks to all the Admin team for this valuable Forum.

Whole process from Nothing to USB install made AND OSX 10.6.8 up and running on my 620 - aprox 2 hours not including any downloads as I transferred the 10.6.8 combo update to a spare partition from a spare 2gb memory stick.

And the proof as they say is "In the Pudding" .........

IMG_2411.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thought had crossed my mind bronxy :-)

I do have a slot loading pioneer drive here that I could fit into it to make it a bit more authentic but the keyboard would need modding as the power button is part of the keyboard :(

It won't hang around long anyhow as I'm working on my 630 again as I type.......

Gonna give a Lion install a go if I can get my 630 to 10.6.8 reliably.

Update :

I gave up trying to get it all working on my 630 with 1440x900 .... The lack of DSDT support means that it's all just not worth the time.

In the end, I took the entire lid off my 630 complete with 1440x900 LCD and transferred it onto my 620 Nvidia .....

IMG_2413.jpg

Booted the 620 with it's installed 10.6.8 and all was normal except with the bonus of 1440x900 resolution as standard and with NON OF THE PROBLEMS that the X3100 chipset presents.

NO CHANGING of DSDT's, nothing at all to edit.... Easy as pie :-)

Sadly, my 620 can't take my nice 2.5 C2D 6m cache 800 Mhz CPU that my 630 has in it, as it's a different socket.......

IMG_2414.jpg

..... But, I'm posting this on my 2.0, 4m cache, 667 Mhz 620 which currently out-performs the 630 by miles so I am happy with that.

I'd strongly suggest from the last 4 weeks of hard work that 1440x900 D630 owners concider a D620 Nvidia over a D630 Intel.

Regards,

Tim.

I concur, the D620 was trivial and I was kicking myself at moving from a 620->630. So the 630 may remain linux/windows while the 620 is a wonderful os x box; sleep and everything works. fantastic. both are 1440x900, compounding the problems. i'm not sure if i can find a 1280x800 screen and reapply that to my 630, or if i can find another 620 to use.

I'm working on this project again...........

I needed a break as it was taking up FAR too much of my personal time but I have installed ubuntu on the D630 and extracted the DSDT and am working on the needed patches to inject the hardware so that many of the kexts are not needed in the Extra folder as per "nozyczek" method that was so fantastic on a 1525 I did.

It's all a bit new to me tho so you'll have to bear with me - Not sure if I can make it all work but I know for sure that DSDT route is the way to go with this 1440x900 screen now. Gonna start with Simenoff's DSDT as that actually does work on SL 10.6.3 and see if I can get to 10.6.8 and then move onto Lion if I can.

If anyone's interested, this is just one of the guide's I am following

http://aserebln.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/20.html