E6220 I3 2330m Sierra still waiting for root device

michel boon

Hello,

I tried installing osx sierra on my E6220 with the following specs

Intel Core i3 2330m 

4GB ddr3 1333 ram

256GB samsung ssd

pny usb 3.0 32gb usb flash drive created by the guide here. also used a clompletly new 32 gb drive created with same guide.

Its post 

with the sierra guide 

Usb created on an running imac with high sierra with the base installer from the store witch should be version 10.12.6 

Used the kernel version 10.12.6 and patched aicpum kext from here

the problem is that it hangs at still waiting for root device with booth usb drives

Bios has been reset to factory defaults and sata mode is ahci mode.

what can i do to fix this.

atached all files that the guid refers to.

Vanilla_kernel_10.12.6.zip

Patched_AICPUPM_10.12.6.zip

E6220_i5-2520M_HD3000_Sie-Pack.zip

This laptop has no 3.0 ports 3 2.0 ports 1 is an combo port with esata.

i dont have usb 2.0 drives any more, this is my only laptop with 2.0 only ports and dont use it verry often.

tought to convert it to be an hackmacbook air because in small and light.

10 minutes ago, michel boon said:

This laptop has no 3.0 ports 3 2.0 ports 1 is an combo port with esata.

i dont have usb 2.0 drives any more, this is my only laptop with 2.0 only ports and dont use it verry often.

tought to convert it to be an hackmacbook air because in small and light.

I see, Mostly it has to do with USB3.0 device. Give a try with this kext in USB: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb-inject-all/downloads/

I have managed to fix it with the kext you gave and putting the usb drive in the combo port now it is installing.

But it gives back a kernel panic afterwards when i want te start up gagain

Kernel Extension in backtrace com.apple.drvier..AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement can i safely rm it trough the installers terminal

or do i need to force the driver not to get loaded

• Administrators

A pre-patched version of the AICPUPM kext is provided in the bootpack posted in the guide. It's located in Chameleon/Enoch's usual folder for add-on kexts: /Extra/Extensions.

Make sure you've installed that bootpack on your USB installer. Normally, the o.c.B.plist is configured with KernelBooter_kexts parameter set to yes (to load kexts from /E/E) and-f flag (to boot without cache), so you should be able to boot without issues. You may overwrite these by interrupting the Enoch bootloader through F8 when you see the circular character in top left corner of the screen and typing KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f -v.

Thereafter, once you've installed and updated Sierra as/if required to latest version of 10.12.6, you may then install the latest pre-patched version of AICPUPM kext, though I don't believe it's ever evolved throughout the various Sierra updates. You'll find all versions here:

I also suggest you set your E6220 BIOS settings as per the recommended settings detailed here:

Unlike other computers, my E6220 has all built-in USB2.0 ports fully operationnal without any USB injector kext. Hence absence of such kext in my bootpack.