macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta Releases

Hervé

• Administrators

Beta1 installs in the exact same manner as High Sierra. The difference is that 10.14 requires Clover r4517 or higher to install successfully.

https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder/releases

So far, Ok on my Ivy Bridge/HD4000 Latitude E6230 with same EFI/bootpack as High Sierra 10.13 and Clover r4521. I made a quick and basic, not fully tuned, installation:

E6230_Mojave_10.14.png

E6230_i5-3340M_8GB_HD4000_10.14.b1.png

Apple stated that Mojave will only support GPUs compatible with Metal so HD3000 and older 1st gen Intel HD graphics are effectively dropped (and there are no kexts for these). Support for Intel iGPUs now starts at Ivy Bridge HD4000.

So, I won't be trying Mojave on my E6220 nor on my ancient D630 (support for nVidia Tesla architecture dropped too)... We'll see if this gets to evolve in the following beta versions but not much of a hope I guess.

APFS conversion seems to be mandatory too. Despite my modification of the minstallconfig.xml file of the 1st reboot temporary installation in which I had set the ConvertToAPFS parameter to false, my target Mojave partition ended up converted! Not a problem in itself on my SSD (and APFS is reportedly Ok on mechanical HDD now) but that means a definitive goodbye to Chameleon/Enoch for the time being. 🙄 Inescapable eventuality I guess...

List of officially supported Mac models is as follows (as per /S/L/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist)

• MacPro6,1
  • iMac17,1

• iMac16,2
  • iMac16,1

• iMac15,1

• iMac14,4

• iMac14,3
  • iMac14,2

• iMac14,1

• iMac13,3

• iMac13,2

• iMac13,1

• Macmini7,1

• Macmini6,1

• Macmini6,2

• MacBookPro12,1

• MacBookPro11,5

• MacBookPro11,4

• MacBookPro11,3

• MacBookPro11,2

• MacBookPro11,1

• MacBookPro10,2

• MacBookPro10,1

• MacBookPro9,2

• MacBookPro9,1

• MacBook9,1

• MacBook8,1

• MacBookAir7,2

• MacBookAir7,1
  • MacBookAir6,2

• MacBookAir6,1

• MacBookAir5,2

• MacBookAir5,1

• Like 4

• Administrators

In case questions on GPU list surface, native compatibilty with Metal starts at:

• Intel : Ivy Bridge HD4000
  • nVidia: Kepler (from GT6xx/7xx) and limited to it (no support for Maxwell or Pascal).
  • AMD: CGN 1.0 (from R7)
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I hate to be the one asking this, but are you sure you did anything different from the High Sierra installation? I've tried Jake Lo's installation guide for High Sierra, which worked, because I installed it, so I tried updating to Mojave (which I didn't expect to work, and well it didn't) so then I tried a clean install with the same steps, but it takes around ~16 minutes to boot because of kextd stall for AppleACPICPU, and it would through the install but I only get a grey screen. I have your exact same Latitude E6230, too. Am I doing something wrong?

• Administrators

Since Beta #2 or #3, patching does bring back support for HD3000 with minor graphics defects (especially on translucency) that are more visible in light mode than dark mode. Details have been published at MacRumors and/or InsanelyMac but all that's required is:

1. Patch the PlatformSupport plist in /S/L/CoreServices to add those models that are officially unsupported (eg: MacBookPro8,1) or replace it by attached modified version
  2. Install the HD3000 + SNB kexts from a previous macOS version (10.12.6 or 10.13.6 for instance) to /S/L/E

Once permissions are repaired and cache rebuilt, HD3000 should be supported as before (with above limitations).

Tested and verified on my E6220 with DP4/PB3 (above changes only lead to black screen with DP1):

E6220_i5-2520M_HD3000_Mojave_PB3.png

E6220_Mojave_PB3.png

E6220_Mojave_HD3000.png

E6220 appears fully functional (sleep/wake, network, audio, etc).

• Administrators

Fitted the Mojave SSD of the E6220 in my D630 and added the necessary modifications for MBP7,1 model:

• patched PlatformSupport plist (already in place for MBP8,1 SMBIOS on E6220) posted above
  • installation of nVidia kexts/pack from High Sierra 10.13.6 to /S/L/E
  • replacement of Mojave's /S/L/UserEventsPlugins/com.apple.telemetry.plugin by High Sierra 10.13.6's version

The results are similar to what's achieved on the E6220 with HD3000: full graphics acceleration with minor defects (more visible in light mode than dark one).

D630_T9500_NVS-135M_Mojave-b4.png

D630_10.14.b4.png

SysProfiler_PCI.png

SysProfiler_Graphics.png

SysProfiler_NV_kexts_01.png

SysProfiler_NV_kexts_02.png

AGPM1.png AGPM2.png AGPM3.png

Other than the above small graphics limitations, D630 appears fully functional (sleep/wake, LAN, wifi, WWAN, audio, dGPU throttling/AGPM, etc.)

• Like 2