gptsync illegal instruction error

gkmaier

I've got OS X running on my D630/Intel and now I'd like to install windows 7 and have a dual-boot machine. However when I run gptsync it returns "Illegal Instruction: 4". I've tried redownloading gptsync and I've also tried searching google and these forums for answers with no luck. Has anyone seen this error? I'm about ready to throw in the towel, and that would mean I wasted so many hours on this ... it's completely irritating.

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks for the reply tGilani. Unfortunately the Windows 7 with SP1 install DVD is giving me the error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk (show details)" due to "The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

I wonder if I need to use an earlier version of Lion or even Snow Leopard for my initial OS X install, maybe it is something with the version of OS X I have on my USB stick that I'm running gptsync under.

Thanks!

I dont think the version matters really..!! My Harddrive is GUID Apple Partition not MBR though!

I installed SL 10.6.3 and used GPT to sync the tables.. and Installed 7

And I then installed Lion and Did 7 Installation too..!!

But hey... I guess the reason it worked for me is that I had already Synced the tables using GptSync when I had SL installed... =)

and when I did lion, i didn't need to do that again..!!

Try this.. install SL, Create windows Partiton, Sync Partition Tables using GPTSYNC and then Install Lion by formatting SL and then Dual Boot with 7 in newly created partition

... Should Work..!!

Here's what I was able to do thanks to the above replies: I created a USB install stick for SL and used it to get access to a SL Terminal window. gptsync finally ran successfully there. Once it finished I was able to install Windows 7, reboot with my Lion USB stick, boot up my existing Lion HD install, setup Chameleon, etc...

Thanks to everyone who replied!