HS 10.13.6 update broke usb3 ports on E6540

veedub89

I recently bought a new laptop, the 6540 i7, Radeon, 16gb ram, details in sig.  I've had 10.13.4 working perfect with BIOS A16.  ALL of the USB ports worked with all of my USB 3.0 drives. 

Recently, I have been working on getting the 10.13.6 update working.  Everything works except the USB 3.0 ports with USB 3.0 drives.  Logitech mice work on the same ports.  USB 2.0 drives work on the same USB 3 ports.  And the USB port on the back of the laptop, which is supposed to be USB 2.0, will read the same USB 3.0 Drives.  Saw that people were using the newer BIOS', so I decided to try updating that.  First with A21, and then updated to A24 as I see that BIOS has the meltdown/spectre patch.  But it didn't help.  I've checked and double checked my EFI folder and config.  I have the 10.13.4 USB kext patch in Clover.  I am at a loss as to what to do to get these ports to read a USB 3.0 drive?  I've attached the system reporting files.

debug_29917.zip

• Administrators

You don't seem to have the FakePCIID_XHCIMux kext installed in /L/E alongside the other FakePCIID kexts. Add it and see how it goes. All seem Ok on the patched DSDT front.

NB: Your Clover config file carries an incorrect IOGraphicsFamily patch for High Sierra so I suspect you experience the boot screen glitch at startup. The correct patch for High Sierra is:

Find: 0100007522
Replace by: 010000EB22

Got the latest FakePCIID_XHCIMux kext file from Rehabman's github, and installed it to L/E, repaired permissions, and rebooted.  no luck.  Same thing is still happening.

Reading through your post, I checked my DSDT for the Method _INI patch, and it appears to be there.  The HPET, IRQNoFlags is set to 0,8,11,15.

I have a USBInjectAll kext that appears to be from Rehabman as well.  I noticed that your's from your post is different. but used in El Capitan.  Should I grab and try that one instead?

To the video points.  I haven't experienced any video glitches that I have noticed.  I did change the IOGraphicsFamily patch.  But I think you may have accidentally opened up the wrong DSDT.  Looking at the pic it shows that you were looking at "System DSDT".  I opened mine here, and the IGPU layout injection is for the HD 4600.   I even checked the DSDT from the original reporting files, and it shows the 4600 as well.

debug_1520.zip

• Administrators

Yes, you're right about the DSDT, my compiler must have opened my local table at some point. My apologies, your table does indeed inject the correct info so I've removed my incorrect statement above.

With regards to USB ports, you could try the injector I had prepared for my E6440 but I don't know if it'll match the port setup of your E6540. You can't break much by trying it out anyway. If not, you could always build your own using the same process I had detailed in my E6440 guide. I'd also advise you to double check your Clover patch for USB port increase so that you ensure it's the relevant one for 10.13.6.

Got it fixed.  Had to do some searching.  Found an article on another forum.  I wont link to it, cause I dont think it's allowed, but it's called, "10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide".  It made much more sense than anything else I had read.

Here's the short story of what I did.  I had to plug in both a usb 2 drive and a usb 3 drive to each of the ports on the laptop.  I had to look at IORegistryExplorer app to get the port name, number and type, and input those values into a new SSDT-USB file and compiled it.(which I have attached)  Once the file was created, I put that file in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.  It then had to be added to the config.plist file in the "SortedOrder" block of the ACPI section of Clover Configurator. (see attached pic).  Then I removed the XHCI port limit patch(clicked the the disable box) in the "Kernel and Kext Patch" section of CloverConfigurator as well.  Rebooted, and plugged in one of the usb3 drives that was giving me hassles, and it WORKED!!.

SSDT-USB.aml.zip

CloverConfigurator_SSDT-USB.png