E7440 popping sound when powering off

princerock

E7440 fresh El Capitan install following Jake's guide:

I found when restarting or shutting down, the speaker makes a loud popping sound. It's like when you turn off the preamp before turning off the speaker, and the speaker makes that pop noise. I searched online and tried the antipop app, but it didn't work. Is there anyway to fix this issue?

Thanks,

That's bad news. The popping sound could be really loud and I even worried it could break the internal speaker. If I connect the HDMI cable, both the monitor (which has built-in speaker) and the laptop make this noise upon restarting or powering off. It seems it always shuts down the audio source before shutting down the speaker, which seems to be a bad design.

I didn't try this solution directly but I did update to High Sierra (10.13.6). It looks like the bootpack has this method (layout id = 12) and this problem is gone. Thank you Jake!

EDIT - sorry I spoke too fast. I still heard the sound after the most recent reboot. So it seems it's not happening every time but the problem is still there. Guess I will need to try out other layout ids?