E5430 Sierra 10.12.6 Install - Some Remaining Issues

Amoxitine

Hi Bronxteck,

Well after a long drawn out struggle I have managed to get the backlight working via booting with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and adding the necessary updates to config.plist to get the AppleBacklightInjector.kext loading and working (following RehabMan's instructions elsewhere).

Just one final niggly issue which I hope either yourself or Jake might be able to point me in the right direction....it appears the brightness controls are mapped to Fn + F3 (bright down) and Fn - Insert (bright up) keys instead of Fn + Cursor Down key and Fn + Cursor Up key. Is there a way to remap those keys to the correct one in a 'fairly simple to understand for a noob' way?

Cheers, 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Fn-UP and Fn-DOWN should still control screen brightness but not at OS level, only at hardware/LCD level. If you want to remap brightness control, you'd have to identify either the PS2 scan codes or the APCI EC queries associated with Fn-F3 and Insert, then  Fn-UP/Fn-DOWN in order to re-code the brightness instructions accordingly. There was a guide related to this but I cannot remember if it was here at at IM. 'never tried this either...

From memory, I think you may be able to check PS2 scan codes through some debugging of the PS2 controller kext, the info going into syslog. For EC queries, Rehabman had a debug kext that worked alongside some DSDT patch. You'd have to look that up.

Hmm, maybe it's time I look this up too... 😏

Hi Hervé,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the keys work as intended outside of OSX, so will have to do as you say. I will have a search around t'interweb to see if I can find the guide you mentioned, but if anyone else reading this has any pointers I would be grateful :)

Cheers,

Hi Bronxteck,

Funny enough I did come across Karabiner and installed it but whilst it enables me to remap brightness control to F1 (darken) and F2 (lighten), it doesn't seem to allow me to create the remaps to Fn + Down and Fn + Up, which ideally I would prefer.

I have been doing more reading up on the subject and have been looking to add RehabMan's ACPIdebug patch to my patched DSDT.aml that was patched by Jake Lo earlier in this thread so that I can work out the key codes for the two key combinations via syslog but I can't re-compile it using Rehabman's latest version of MaciASL (RM - 1.31 (252.4)) as I get the following errors...  

2436, 6126, syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_IF, expecting PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN or ','

2440, 6126, syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_CLOSE_PAREN

4698, 6126, syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_SCOPE, expecting $end and premature End-Of-File

This is irrespective if I apply any new patches and re-compile or just re-compile the DSDT immediately after opening it.

Jake, if you read this (or anyone else), would you have any ideas as to why I'm getting these errors with the DSDT you patched for me the other day?

I've attached it below for you to take a look at.

Cheers,

Dave

DSDT.aml.zip

• Moderators

Yes, every time you make changes to a compiled file (*.aml), you'll encounter that error. Just patch it with this 

# Fix IASL bug on some DSDT

into method label _CRS code_regex Store\s+\(Zero,\s+ECRW\s+\(If\s+\(PM0H\) replace_matched

begin

Store (Zero, ECRW) } If (PM0H)

end;

into method label _CRS code_regex Store\s+\(Zero,\s+F0LN\)\s+?\}\)\) replace_matched

begin

Store (Zero, F0LN)

end;

Thanks guys for the heads up on the patch to fix the compiler error, that's sorted that problem.

For some reason I just can't get the key codes to show in system.log when I press the various combinations, despite patching my DSDT with....

Add DSDT Debug Method

Instrument EC Queries
Instrument GPE Events

and Kext Wizard showing that ACPIDebug is installed (to /S/L/E), as well as swapping out VoodooPS2Controller-R6.kext with one of RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller.kext (which also works with my trackpad) 

Can't work out what I might have missed so as always if any of you have any advice to get it to fire out the key codes I would be grateful. I have attached my latest DSDT as a DSL (apologies Herve didn't know it needed to be a DSL - never stop learning!) plus the two Voodoo kexts I have tried alongside the debug.

Cheers,

Voodoos.zip

DSDT_amox.dsl.zip