E5430 Sierra 10.12.6 Install - Some Remaining Issues

Amoxitine

Hi Jake,

As requested and further to my posts in the [MINI GUIDE] HIGHSIERRA DELL E5430 thread I have now installed Sierra 10.12.6 on my E5430 and on the most part it has gone well, just have a few issues with some of the hardware.

For anyone else here’s a run down of my spec :-
Dell E5430 Non v-Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.59 GHz
Video: Intel HD Graphics 4000      
Resolution:(1366x768)
Mem: 4Gb
Wifi: Dell 1540W (Not Working)
Ethernet: BCM 5772D Gigabit ethernet
Installed BIOS: A12

This is what I have working currently :-

Intel Graphics
Touchpad (with most gestures by the looks of it, but no Preference Panel control - can that be fixed?)
Audio (via VoodooHDA but would prefer AppleHDA if possible)
Brightness controls
Sleep / Wake
HDMI Video Output

Not Working
WiFi (Need to update to Atheros Card as mine is not compatible)
USB ports - only 2 out of three working and only as USB 2.0
SD Card Reader
HDMI Audio
Battery Level

Problematic
Ethernet port - randomly stops working, says cable is connected but doesn’t pick up a DHCP lease or creates its own - tested on different cables and hubs, so those not a fault. Will eventually work if reboot once or twice, or just works straight away on start up.

Not tested
eSata Port (not sure if that can get to work or not anyways?)

As the Sierra install was similar to the High Sierra install from before (both from Hackintosh Zone dmgs), many of the issues you highlighted that were wrong seem to have been repeated, so I followed the steps you outlined, although I did get stuck with getting audio via AppleHDA working, as whilst I changed the audio device injection value to 12 in Clover when it came to ‘….do the same for DSDT under HDEF’ , I got a bit lost as I opened MaciASL and found ‘HDEF’ but was stumped on what to change (but again I was probably barking up the wrong tree!) so for now I’ve just stuck with VoodooHDA but would prefer not to have to use that.

The other issue I initially had with this Sierra install was that booting was taking way too long, so to combat that I tried the DSDT.aml file from the zip file E5430_jkson.zip found here and that sped things up massively and appeared to work fine.

Anyways enough of my rambling, here is a copy of my debug output for you to take a look at (I’ve also inserted an SD Card and connected HDMI too in case that helps with those), hopefully it won’t be so messy as before and that you will be able to help to get the other bits working etc.

Cheers,

debug_13890.zip

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Remove OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi from /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI

Remove from /S/L/E or /L/E the following:

• GenericUSBXHCI.kext
  • AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

Replace the attached contents into /EFI/Clover

Copy kexts in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/MoveToLE into /Library/Extensions

Repair permissions and rebuild cache

E5430.zip

Hi Jake,

Many thanks for getting back to me. I followed your instructions to the letter but unfortunately this updated config doesn’t boot for me and gets stuck showing this…

1822723403_DellBootScreenShot.thumb.jpg.5086a917dce4a6156dbff2e8163be539.jpg

Some things to note when I did the changes you suggested :-

1) When I copied over the three kexts in the ‘MoveToLe’ folder to /Library/Extensions I got ’System extension cannot be used… “….kext” was installed improperly’ warnings for each (is that to be expected?)

2) When I repaired permissions and flushed the cache the first time I noticed that Terminal came back with…

rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext
kext file:///Library/Extensions/DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext DirectHW.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CodecCommander.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AppleBacklightInjector.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BTFirmwareUploader.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BCM5722D.kext
KernelCache ID: BBC7FB702800D47D378E17B848EE6396
File at path '/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel' changed, cannot be used
Child process /usr/sbin/kextcache[573] exited with status 77.
Error 107 rebuilding /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

So I changed the permissions on prelinkedkernal to read & write and then it seemed to run through without the same warnings, but another reboot was unsuccessful.

Would any of that have a bearing on why it’s not booting? Also would the fact I’m running 10.12.6 have any bearing on things and that I would need to run an older version of Sierra such as 10.12.3 for those kexts to work?

I’ve managed to boot back into my Dell via USB and I have run a new debug (not sure if the USB boot would affect things but have done it just in case you would need this)

Cheers,

Dave

debug_8041.zip

Hi Jake,

Since my last post I have been experimenting with different Clover boot options after I spotted within another post about you talking about table dropping  in the ACPI patching.

I have notice that if I..

Select ACPI patching-> Tables Dropping->

Untick everything that was ticked (Drop "SSDT" "CpuPm" 2850, Drop "SSDT" Cpu0Ist" 2489 and Drop all OEM SSDT)

Then tick Drop "SSDT-PNLF.aml"

BUT I don't change the DSDT name (so keeping DSDT.aml)

Then not only will my Del now boot, but it has the touchpad, SD card slot, sound (using AppleHDA), battery indicator, sleep/wake, all 3 USB and touchpad with gestures all working. The only thing that now appears to not work is the brightness control, but  overall this is significant progress for me. It does take longer to boot and Sierra feels a touch sluggish at times with the SSD in use that bit more than usual, but it's interesting that it's got more of the hardware to show by using those settings. Ethernet seems more stable now as well.

Would be nice to get the brightness working if possible but it's not the end of the world if I can't as I'd rather have all the other stuff working that wasn't.

I've run another debug and I'm just trying to work out how I can update my Clover config to do the above table dropping set up (being a noob with all this it takes a while to work things out!) but if you have any suggestions as to what additional tweaks I could do now that I seem to have things almost working 100% I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Dave

UPDATE EDIT :-

I have worked out how to update the config via Clover Configurator to no longer drop Drop "SSDT" "CpuPm" 2850, Drop "SSDT" Cpu0Ist" 2489 and 'Drop all OEM SSDT' in Clover and removed SSDT-PNLF.aml from the ACPI/patched folder so that I don't have to manuallly drop that. 

2nd UPDATE EDIT

It looks like I will definitely need a tweak to the config as Logic is using more CPU now so I'm assuming that where I have enable / disabled something it's slowed the processor down or something along those lines, hence why it's become slower all round?

Ran a Geekbench test on this latest config and a previous one that boots from USB (but is sans a lot of the working devices) and the current config only multi core scores 1927, whereas the previous USB boot config multi core scores at 5739, so it's definitely running slower

debug_373.zip

Hi Jake,

I redid everything from your first post again just to see if that would get things right, but unfortunately I'm still having issues. The only way to get it to boot is to untick Drop "SSDT" Cpu0Ist" 2489 and Drop all OEM SSDT (leaving either or both ticked will generate the error in my screen shot above) and either leaving Drop "SSDT" "CpuPm" 2850 either ticked or unticked under drop tables on startup (that one doesn't seem to make any difference), but as before whilst I seem to have access to everything (now including brightness control) it's running so much slower that it has been.

Any ideas how I could speed it up?

Done another debug for you to see if that might highlight something that needs altering.

Cheers,

debug_4064.zip

Hi Jake,

Further to my last post I have somehow managed to get the Del working at full speed and pretty much have everything working now, but just have two issues that it would be handy to fix if possible.

1) I don't seem to be able to get the backlight brightness control working despite trying a few different things (either doesn't add any control or will cause boot failure)

2) Ethernet is still flaky (when it's not working it will show MAC address as 00 etc, either multiple reboots or deleting NetworkInterfaces.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and rebooting will get it to work)

If you could take a glance at my latest debug and see if there's anything that can be tweaked to fix either / both issues I would be grateful.

Cheers,

debug_6986.zip

Hi Bronxteck,

Cheers for your reply, I was using an older version (1.0.0) of the BCM5772D ethernet kext in /S/L/E so I upgraded to v2.3.6 and after a few kernel panics it's working better, but still there are times on boot up it won't have a properly assigned MAC address so I then have to reboot again once or twice more to get it to appear.

Not sure why it's working intermittenly like that still despite updating the kext (and I've flushed the kextcache via Kext Utility), if you have any ideas why I'd be grateful, but at least when it works, it works fine!

Still would like to get backlight controls working, but all my efforts to do so just seem to hit brick walls :(

• Administrators

for backlight all you usually need is PNLF patch and working nvram. there are also some backlight options in clover. if your booting UEFI then you should use Aptiofixdrv only instead of any osxaptiofix + emuvariable + RCscripts (remove those)