Can't fix second stage glitch, nothing helps

viking1304

I never managed to fix second stage glitch. I tried every possible patch that I could found, but annoying glitch is always there. I reinstalled my system few times, used few different subversions of High Sierra... I even tried some strange methods like setting HorizontalSyncPulseWidth, since I read that it helped to some people.

I just switched from HS to Mojave and from IntelGraphicsFixup to WhateverGreen, but that ugly glitch is still there. I even tried igfxrst=1which force drawing of Apple logo at 2nd boot stage instead of framebuffer copying, but it didn't helped. I tried using that switch with 10.13 2nd stage patch and without it.

There is absolutely no difference whatever I try. Glitch lasts less than a second, but is very annoying. I will try to record a video and to upload it somewhere.

I have no idea what else to try.

EDIT: I just patched IOGraphicsFamily.kext/IOGraphicsFamily directly, but nothing changed (as expected). At least I can confirm that \x01\x00\x00\x75\x22 still exists in Mojave.

EDIT2: I just found a post from RehabMan that states "The patch is not needed when using Lilu.kext + IntelGraphicsFixup.kext..." That explains why those patches not working for me.

EDIT3: Video that shows described issue is in attachment. I cut first part of boot process and login prompt to make video smaller.

Untitled.mov.zip

There is a small glitch at 00:10 (screenshot in attachment) that lasts less than a second, but it is very annoying.

I know how to add proper patch with Clover Configurator in KextsToPatch, I know how to add it with text editor, I know how to patch binary with hex editor... I tried all of those methods, but that patch just doesn't help in this case.

Any other ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 12.01.18 PM.png

• Administrators

Just add it to the Kernel & Kexts Patches section of Clover using Clover Configurator app. You have all the necessary details. It works perfectly on my Dell E6230 laptop whether through direct kext binary patching (though I do this through a modded copy of the kext in /L/E and increase the kext version) or through Clover on-the-fly patching. Note that I only use Lilu kext; not Whatevergreen or IntelGraphicsFixup since I found no need for those.

Maybe your patch is incorrectly specified in Clover. What do you apply and how?

When you binary modded the kext, did you rebuild your cache afterwards?

I need to use WhateverGreen since all other graphic fixup solutions doesn't exist anymore as you probably know. Patching BIOS to fix DVMT is not a problem , but non working DRM would be big issue for me.

I patched original kext, put it back in /S/L/E and rebuild cache. It is allowed and loaded:

Kext with invalid signatured (-67061) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fc5e76d9eb0 [0x7fff9bdd38e0]> { URL = "IOGraphicsFamily.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily" }
$ kextstat | grep IOGraphicsFamily
   16   16 0xffffff7f81220000 0x4b000    0x4b000    com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (530.9) 397A2D03-D337-3EE7-BD03-2DAE207AE541 <12 7 5 4 3 1>

Clover Config screenshot is in attachment. I tried both names com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily and IOGraphicsFamily as you can see (one is always disabled), but nothing helps.

Some parts of Clover config I know so well that I could edit it by hand in any editor, including crap like Windows Notepad. This part is one of those that I know by heart.

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>SecondStagePatch 10.13</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				AQAAdSI=
				</data>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IOGraphicsFamily</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AQAA6yI=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>SecondStagePatch 10.13 v2</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				AQAAdSI=
				</data>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AQAA6yI=
				</data>
			</dict>

Whatever I try it is always the same (every HS subversion I used and now both Mojave subversions). I think I should convince my OCD to keep calm and forget about it, but for not OCD refuse to give up. :)

IOGraphicsFamily.kext.zip

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.40.47 PM.png

• Administrators

The "com.apple.iokit" path header part is required with all recent versions of Clover (can't remember from which version this started); this applies to other on-the-fly patches too. No idea why, in your particular case, the patch remains ineffective though. You can re-instate the vanilla kext, repair permissions and rebuild your cache.

Can you post your debug info + zipped EFI folder?

I know about complete path and that's why I had two of them in the first place there. I tried one by one, but none of them worked, so I left both disabled at the end. Few seconds before I made that screenshot I enabled one, just to show you that I know how to disable and enable patches and that I tried literary everything.

I just rebooted, F2 + F4 and made debug (attached). Both patches are left disabled in config, since kext itself is patched.

ig-platform-id is not needed with WhateverGreen, but I restored it, just to be sure that it would not make any difference even it was there.

Btw. I am not sure that complete path is actually needed with latest clover versions. AppleBacklight patch works just fine as it is in my config, without complete com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight path. I can decrease and increase backlight with Fn keys if is enabled, and if it is disable that doesn't work. 

EDIT: I missed the part where you wrote to restore vanilla kext. Let me do it, enable patch with complete path and then I will generate new debug. Give me few moments.

EDIT 2: Restored unpatched kext, rebuild cache, enabled patch with full path in config and removed unused patch (with kext name only). Debug attached.

debug_2580.zip

• Moderators

I think occurs on high resolution displays only (for me it's 1920x1080), I don't recall seeing the glitch on lower resolution display with the patches / or whatever green + Lilu.

If you enable verbose mode, you won't see that glitch but you'll have to deal with seeing all the texts ....