E6420 HD3000 High Sierra Almost Perfect System

dbrannon79

Hey fellas,  thanks to Jake's guide and his assistance, and also other contributors, I have an almost perfect fully working hack book pro dual booting High Sierra and windows 10 on the same ssd!  I still need some fine tuning and some fixes tho.  as of current everything I've tested is working.  my system is a Latitude e6420 with an i5-2520m 8gb ram.

right now I am attempting to get handoff working and try to get the occasional screen glitch fixed. not to mention the system not saving the default audio input for the mic. the other thing I'd like to do is somehow manually edit the settings for when the cpu fan starts running, I've seen some spikes in CPU temps.  I have attached my current EFI and a screenshot of one of the screen glitches.  occasionally on booting, the screen is black at the logon screen.  luckily I can simply type my password in and it will login and the screen will show.  I tried to get the debug files but I keep getting the output in terminal shown in the screenshot and the folder gets deleted from my desktop so I am unable to attach that.

for the handoff I have used the clover patch from this site...   https://www.hackintosh.computer/162/enable-bluetooth-handoff/

any help would be much appriciated.

Clover_v2-4297-EFI.zip

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 2.03.19 AM.png

• Administrators

There isn't much you can do for the occasional HD3000 graphics glitch (screen corruption, cross-screen horizontally lines), it seems to affect all HD3000 systems especially over time and after repeated Sleep/Wake. The best I found to lessen the degradation was to increase RAM to 8GB to, in turn, increase available VRAM; but it's no definitive and permanent fix. Patching the SNB/HD3000 kexts to increase VRAM further bring no cure either. You only apply the "Inject Intel" parameter in Clover, presumably because you already inject layout 0x00010000 in DSDT. This usually calls for MBP8,1 SMBIOS and I see you use MBP8,2; you probably want to give the MBP8,1 a try, especially as that's also an i5-based model whilst the MBP8,2 and MBP8,3 are i7-based.

Re: CPU temperatures, make sure to apply the AICPUPM patch (whether direct binary patch of the kext or Clover on-the-fly patch) and to generate your CPU-specific power management SSDT. You have an i5-2520M so you can always retrieve the required SSDT off my E6220 guides (it has same CPU). Looking at the EFI you posted, it seems you're running on an old file. Try and regenerate the SSDT with Pike R Alpha's latest generator script.

Regarding handoff, your posted IOReg output shows a Broadcom BCM94352HMB and the built-in DW375. You'll have to disable Bluetooth in BIOS (or place wireless side switch to off position if set to control BT in BIOS) to deactivate the DW375 and run BT services off the Broadcom card. Otherwise the built-in module always takes precedence over the add-on combo card. You will see this in SysProfiler (System Information) Bluetooth and USB sections.

Herve,  thanks for the quick response.  I tried the MBP8,1 in the SMIBIOS on clover, created a new serial and uuid but on reboot I lost all usb ports.  tried several times with other MBP's using the i5 family cpus and still the same result even after using a different ssdt.  so I reverted back to my original config plist

I started working on getting the handoff working, disabled the onboard BT in the bios as you suggested.  that did killed my BT and the  added theBCM94352HMB BT did not work.  I started following a guide HERE under Bluetooth Injection Method, which led me to adding the port limit patches from the attached text zip file.  while using the guide I attempted creating a custom ssdt and got totally lost. I have also tried the ssdt from your guide as suggested but I believe I need the ssdt_UIAC.  I would hope to find someone with the same system who has done this and willing to share!!  as for now I'm stuck with no BT from the BCM94352HMB which is prob stopping me from getting handoff to work, unless it can be done using the DW375.  Ive also attached my working config plist with the added patches and the one (config1 plist) which I lost all usb function after changing the MBP.  maybe you can take a look and see what caused the usb to stop working.

I did try to run the install_tools sh script to post an updated debug report but every time I run it the folder appears on my desktop and then disappears again as if the script is deleting it.  what can I do to fix that so I can post the debug fo help?

Thanks again

config_patches.plist.txt.zip

Archive.zip

• Moderators

The USBInjector kext from my files are hardcoded to MBP8,2. If you want to use MBP8,1 as Hervé suggested, you should use the USBInjector from his E6220/E6420 guide which I believe is hardcoded to MBP8,1.

FYI, for the debug to be completed successfully, you must first boot to Clover, press F2 and then F4. Then continue onto OS X and then run the debug again. Do not interrupt the process while it's running. Of course you'll need a working internet connection too.

35 minutes ago, Jake Lo said:

Try adding this kexts to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip

Thanks Jake,  I added it to the Other in EFI and that didn't seem to work so I removed it and replaced it with the one that was in SLE and now it's working.  there must have been a conflict with having both. I didn't realize that :)

Thank you.

as for the MBP selection, I'm fine with using MBP8,2  I would just like to be able to turn the fan on slightly before HWMonitor starts showing the cpu temps up in the 70's range.  they normally stay in the mid 50's to mid 60's range which I think is ok, but placing my hand near the fan exhaust I rarely feel anything blowing until the temps get up past the 70's and are showing in red.

now on to figuring out the bluetooth for the wifi combo card or if there is a trick to using the built in DW375 for the handoff and continuity.

plus trying to fix the problem as to why the settings in preferences won't stick when selecting the output mic.   I have the voodooHDA app installed from THIS youtube video I found.  the reason I used the voodooHDA from the video was, although the sound was working and the mic was working, there was no gain control for the mic and it was defaulted to max gain and was so sensitive it was picking up little things like a pin drop in the room over my voice!  the voodooHDA fixed that.   here is a couple of screenshots of the setting it defaults to on reboot which doesn't work (black left)  and what it needs to be set default to for the mic to work properly (both)  when I choose the one highlighted in the second screenshot everything works from then-on until the next reboot.

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.30.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.30.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.31.00 PM.png

• Administrators

DW375 is BT3.0 and will not support hands-off. You will never get Bluetooth off your BCM94352HMB unless the DW375 is disabled in BIOS, switched off through the side switch or physically removed. If you're currently not seeing the Bluetooth module of the BCM94352HMB module, that's because you have an issue getting all your USB ports working.

If you want Hands-off + Continuity to work properly, I recommend you opt for an Apple card such as the BCM94360CD + mini-PCIe adapter. That's what I've gone for on all my E Series laptop and everything works as on a real Mac.

For audio, why don't you switch to patched AppleHDA. Details of the patch are available in my E6220 guide.