E6420 HD3000 High Sierra Almost Perfect System

dbrannon79

thanks Herve for the info  I will look into the apple card and adaptor and the audio patch in your guide.  as for the usb ports not working for the current card I have, I'm sure there are other problems I will run into unless I fix this.  can you help me with this?  

Also thank you Jake for reminding me about the F2 and F4 in clover,  I knew I was forgetting something.

Here is an updated debug zip attached.  let me know if I need to zip up my clover EFI and attach as well.

Thanks again guys I really appreciate all the assistance :)

debug_16508.zip

On 9/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, Hervé said:

For audio, why don't you switch to patched AppleHDA. Details of the patch are available in my E6220 guide.

Herve,  I uninstalled the voodoohda and restored my vanilla AppleHDA kext back to the way it was before.  attempted to use a patched  HDA and do get sound working, but I still get the same results with the built in mic. no way to control the input gain and siri fails to work.  I started following THIS which led me to THIS guide (all I seemed to find on patching so far) and I got so far where it had me identify my codec vendor id, which ended at the full stop because my codec is 0x111d76e7 rather than 0x10ec like it said.  

for now I have reinstalled the voodooHDA to get the mic working and allow siri to work.  can you point me in the right direction where to get the specific patch I need and or the correct way to install it?

Thanks

P.S.  I was trying to attach my original appleHDA kext and an appleHDAIDT that I found in SLE but I keep getting  this message!

Links removed as per forum rules sorry

the patch details on your guide (screenshot) I have in my clover kexts to patch, unless I typoed  something  

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 3.38.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 3.40.22 PM.png

Thanks Herve,  strangely for the moment the default mic input selection has resolved it's self!  the only thing different I did was when I reinstalled the voodooHDA app I chose to place the voodooHDA kext in clover instead of it's standard install by placing it in SLE.  I did have to edit the info plist in the kext to set the input gain  and recording levels to 50 since it did not want to remember the setting from  system preferences.    I also tested the HDMI video and sound, that seems to work great although it won't automatically switch over the audio. I have to manually do that from the volume icon on the top of the screen, but that's no biggie.

in further testing the sd card reader isn't working just yet but will look into that further.  also sleep works when it wants to apparently!  at first boot while connected to the charger there is no sleep, but when I disconnect the charger it will sleep, just takes it a minuet to actually go to sleep.  I did notice battery life seems to be remarkably good on my 30% life left battery!!  I had left it running while making a trip into town not realizing it was unplugged, came back and watched a few youtube videos before I noticed it was at 65% charged.  all in all the system seems stable, yet I have not put it through any stress tests yet.

Update:  further sleep testing I find that it will sleep only while on battery power and not while plugged in.  when  it wakes up the screen is at full brightness. I have to touch the Fn brightness key to reset the brightness.

Question on the sleep issue...  I am currently running clover v2 r4297 on legacy.  do I need to update?  if so.  what version is recommended or is best to use, and exactly how should I go about performing the upgrade.  I have switched versions in the past while running El Capitan to a newer version simply by running the installer and it seemed to pre-select the options I had before, finished the install. Rebooted and had several problems. I ended up re-installing the r4297 and have never looked back!  Im positive there is a CPU power management issue since my sleep only works on battery so I am currently reading up on this.  I found a post from forum for CPU power management that hopefully will be easy to understand since I got lost attempting to make a custom ssdt before.  if there are any recommendations that is easy reading or a step by step guide to follow for the inexperienced, Please share :)

Thanks again for all the help.

P.S.  link removed as per forum rules

more testing..  I installed an integrated webcam from another e6420 I have, it's recognized in the bios and enabled.  the camera works in FaceTime but is very poor quality. I have a good 5G wifi signal and have tested internet speed which is more than good, I also opened image capture and it shows no devices.  is that a kext driver I need to have to clear this up?  there is another old thread here which the op has the practically the same issue but there was no solution posted. 

Thanks

Hey guys, I'm back at trying to get everything working again.  

I've been searching to figure out how to get the bluetooth part of my Broadcom BCM94352HMB card working at least until I get around to building my other e6420 laptop ( will get the apple BCM94360CD card )  

with the built in bluetooth disabled in the bios the wifi works great on the BCM94352HMB card but there is no bluetooth.  any suggestions on this? I'm out of available space to attach files so I have linked a recent debug below from my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13LIYCdGl1EIduonOaVUhLXmS4NLq1vUq

Thanks

Update:  as interesting as this is, but I had remembered reading something about having the BCM94352HMB card in the wan port of the laptop would cause some issues.  so out of curiosity I opened my HackBook Pro as I call it, moved the card into the wwan port.  had to do a slight mod since the card is a half hight and that port requires a full hight card.  powered it on, booted into High Sierra and bam!  bluetooth is working :D  yay!  

now if possible, try to get handoff working.  besides the sleep to fully function.  as of right now there is only two ways I can get sleep to work.  one way is to press the Fn+F1 keys (the moon symbol on F1 key). this method works all the time with no problems.  any other sleep method requires me to first disconnect the charger, then the lid, apple menu, and auto timed sleep works.  otherwise the screen only turns off.